`Barfi` set for Turkey release, Ranbir Kapoor excited
Mumbai: Ranbir Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra starrer ‘Barfi!’ is all set to get a commercial release in Turkey. Said to be the first Indian movie to get a mainstream release in the country, it will hit close to 40 screens May 10.
Story of a dumb and mute boy who falls in love with an autistic girl will be released with Turkish subtitles.
"Turkey is a place where my grandfather (Raj Kapoor) has a great following even today. To see my film getting a wide theatrical release in the same country is a huge compliment. I am very excited about this," said Ranbir, who bagged best actor trophies at Filmfare, Screen, Zee Cine, Apsara Producer`s Guild awards for playing Barfi.
Continuing its endeavour to open new international markets for Indian cinema, UTV is said to be the first Indian studio to enter Turkey on this scale with ‘Barfi!’
One of the most successful films of 2012, the Anurag Basu directed drama won critical acclaim too in the form of top honours at all key awards in the country. The film was India`s official entry to the Academy Awards 2012.
"I am extremely happy that a story I have lived with over so many years has in the last few months received global recognition and now is geared towards greater opportunities, including mainstream releases in non-traditional markets," said Basu.
Thanks to ‘Barfi!’ success, the director too walked away with trophies at all major awards in the country for narrating the heartwarming tale on celluloid so beautifully.
Amrita Pandey, executive director, international distribution, syndication and Disney Media Distribution, Studios, Disney UTV, said that ‘Barfi!’ had appealed to a global audience.
"After its screening at the prestigious Busan and Marrakech film festivals last year, the film continues to receive accolades from all quarters including the Grand Jury Award at the prestigious Okinawa Film Festival in Japan. `Barfi!` is the widest release for any Hindi film in Turkey," she added.
Firat Dilbaz of Cinemajestic, film exhibitors in Turkey, said that for many years Turkish audiences have not watched Indian movies in theatres and "we are excited to have a critical and commercial success such as `Barfi!` as the first on this scale".
"We are currently showing trailers of the film on over 200 screens and the response from the audiences has been extremely encouraging," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Subhash Ghai to be honoured with IIFA lifetime achievement award
- I don't care about looking perfect: Melissa McCarthy
- 'Indian' sequel on the cards: A.M. Rathnam
- Nepal earthquake recreated on 'Yeh Hai Mohabbatein'
- Men prefer brains over big breasts and long legs: Study
- Naren turns baddie for 'Aranmanai 2'
- Let your hair shine in summer
- Women more forgiving towards attractive men
- 'Terminator Genisys' to release in India on July 3
- Kim Kardashian, Kanye West exploring surrogacy?
- Paul McCartney almost played Ross' father-in-Law on 'Friends'
- Top five celebrities and their non-starry partners!
- Top 5 women directors in Bollywood
- The higher you go, the lonelier you get: Priyanka Chopra
- Amitabh Bachchan advised Anil Kapoor not to take sabbatical
- Lindsay Lohan avoids jail with 125 hours of community service
- Remo D’Souza is now on Twitter!
- Jacqueline Fernandez in love with Salman Khan’s eyes
- Salman Khan to tweet in Hindi, Urdu
- Check out: Shah Rukh Khan, AbRam’s selfie
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- I’ve fallen in love with acting, says Lauren Gottlieb
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’