`Gulaab Gang` inspired by real Gulabi gang, says Juhi Chawla
Kolkata: Actress Juhi Chawla, who will be seen in a negative role in ‘Gulaab Gang’, says the film "may be sort of" inspired by Sampat Pal Devi, the founder of Gulabi Gang in Uttar Pradesh.
"It is not someone`s story... may be sort of inspired by Sampat Pal Devi`s story. The film is a dramatic version of all this that is happening," Juhi said here Friday on the sidelines of inauguration of the fertility clinic Genome.
The Gulabi Gang was formed in 2006 by Devi, a mother of five and former government health worker (as well as a former child bride), as a response to widespread domestic abuse and other violence against women.
`Gulabis` or the group members as they are called, visit abusive husbands and beat them up with laathis (bamboo sticks) unless they stop abusing their wives. They wear pink.
The film ‘Gulaab Gang’, directed by debutant Soumik Sen and produced by Anubhav Sinha, stars Madhuri Dixit and Juhi Chawla in key roles.
"It is about whatever has been happening on women... those stories are taken and this movie is made. I am in a negative character," said Chawla.
The mother of two says her current priorities are "family, home and my work".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amid political tensions, three-tiered security for Oscars
- 'Lion' significantly talks about child adoption: Priyanka Bose
- It's Shahid Kapoor's birthday! Let's take a look at his TOP 5 roles
- Rangoon box office collections: Kangana, Shahid and Saif starrer witnesses slow start!
- 'Lipstick Under My Burkha': CBFC cites 'audio pornography', 'abusive words' reasons to refuse certification