`Holiday` review: True blue action lacking a real punch
The genre of action thrillers has never been a strong point for Bollywood. With `Holiday: A Soldier Is Never Off Duty`, the promise of that changing were strong with slick action in the trailers. However, the pace of the movie is such that the audience has little to look forward to.
The movie has been made only for Akshay Kumar, and the director could have just done away with everyone else. Captain Virat Bakshi comes back on a break from his duties as an army officer. He is in Mumbai to get married, only to be back on duty when he witnesses a bomb blast in a bus. The rest of the movie is about how he unravels a hidden terrorist plot and evades a catastrophic serial blasts in the heart of the city.
Here lies the first problem. It seems that every security authority in the city is a complete nincompoop and even today people are allowed to carry loaded guns and explosive filled bags inside malls, cinema theatres and train stations. Because all the security cameras, metal detectors and the manual frisking are details that have to be overlooked if you want to make a movie.
Secondly, the action sequences are unnecessarily interspersed with comedy and romance. Sonakshi seems completely out of place and hardly makes a difference to the script. Akshay romances her with a `let`s get it over this quickly` expression. Director AR Murugadoss also makes a mistake with casting Freddy Daruwala as the leader of the sleeper cells, he should have got Vidyut Jamwal to reprise his role from the original `Thupakki`. The climactic one-on-one between both martial art experts Akshay and Vidyut would have been a part to watch out for! On the other hand Freddy can hardly stand up to Akshay in the fight sequence.
The first half of `Holiday` manages to rouse the interest of the audience. The premise of the terror threat and sleeper cells is well outlined. The expectation rises as the second half of the movie starts with a fantastic true blue action sequence, where Akshay single handedly takes out a room full of terrorists. What Murugadoss builds (even with its gaping loopholes) is a good future for thrillers, provided filmmakers stay true to the plot. He even manages to pay respect to the Army and its role for the security of the country. But the movie falls short soon after it reaches its final stage. The entire build-up leads up to a very anti climatic end.
Even with Greg Powell`s slickly designed action sequences, and Akshay`s perfect execution; the interruptions of songs and ill-timed comedy is a downer. The movie is 10 minutes short of three hours and you lose patience by the end of it.
The music of the film is nothing to write home about and the same can be said for the background score.
The movie is all about Akshay Kumar. He is the strong, sexy, patriotic army officer who can sing, dance, fight, has a sense of humour. Everything rolled into one. He single handedly finds the head of a terrorist outfits merely based on speculations and interrogation of two people. He even takes them down on his own. If you are a fan of the `Khiladi` of Bollywood, go ahead!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' kick starts well at the Box Office!
- A 'new Irrfan' to watch out for in 'Jazbaa': Sanjay Gupta
- Anupam Kher's health dilemmas
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' pooch to travel for promotions?
- 'Bombairiya' our ode to Mumbai: British-born producer
- Ryan Reynolds grants young fan's wish to meet Deadpool
- Vergara's former fiance to seek custody of embryos
- Stone, Garfield still have the 'sparks'
- Shabana Azmi went street shopping for 'Chalk n Duster'
- Would love to do a film based on chess: Aamir Khan
- Never thought I'd do a Mahesh Bhatt film: Vidya Balan
- Sharon Osbourne taking month long break form 'The Talk'
- 'Supergirl' won't have cross over with 'Arrow' and 'The Flash'
- Time has come to quit 'Doctors': Ian Kelsey
- Nick Nolte to play disgraced US president in new series
- 'Heroes Reborn' brings back Greg Grunberg
- Marvel's 'Empire of the Dead' to be adapted for TV
- Divyanka Tripathi intimidates her fans
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' cast to rock 'Comedy Nights With Kapil'
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM