`Jolly LLB` is bizarre, yet funny: Boman Irani
New Delhi: Playing an unscrupulous lawyer in upcoming courtroom drama `Jolly LLB`, Boman Irani says the film shows the bizarre reality of the country`s judiciary, which is shocking yet funny.
"What you see is so bizarre and inherently satirical, that it is funny. It`s a very real film, but the reality makes you laugh. The film is a serious subject, but when you see how a courtroom is conducted, you wonder how can any justice emanate from that. You`ll be shocked, and that`s what is funny in the film," Boman told reporters in an interview.
After making his debut with `Phas Gaye Re Obama`, a quirky tale about repercussions of recession, director Subhash Kapoor explores the goings on in city courts in his second outing.
"The film will change people`s perspective about what happens inside a court. Subhash Kapoor was a journalist and used to cover cases like these. He has done first hand research for the film, making it a general observation of the judiciary," said Boman.
The 53-year-old actor is pitted against his friend Arshad Warsi. While both play lawyers in the film, Boman is shown as one of the top lawyers of the country and Arshad is the underdog who dares to stand up to this powerful man.
"My character has grey to dark shades. He is unscrupulous, powerful and brilliant. He feels he can do what he wants. Arshad`s character locks horns with mine, making it a David vs Goliath kind of a confrontation," said Boman.
This is the fourth film Boman has done with Arshad, after the two Munnabhai films and `Hum Tum Aur Ghost`. But the two have known each other for a long time, even before Boman stepped into films.
"We go back pretty long. He was the choreographer of my debut play, `Roshni`, by Alyquee Padamsee. We hit it off there. We share the same sense of humour. At that point he had asked me to take up films, but I was not interested. Incidentally, 10 years later he was a part of my debut film Munnabhai MBBS!"
Boman began his acting career on stage, and the actor, who has carved a niche for himself in Bollywood, says he would return to theatre one day for sure.
"Every actor worth his salt does go back to the stage at some point. I have had a very young career in films, it`s not even ten years. I am enjoying this chapter of my life. There will be a time when I will go back to the stage," he said.
He is currently hosting the chat show `Achiever`s Club` on Star World and has signed `Peekay` and `Happy New Year`.
Boman has also signed a Telegu film, his first down south.
"I liked what they offered me. It is a nice space to explore and a refreshing change. They approached me quite a few times and I said `Why not?` Cinema is cinema, whatever language it may be in," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paul McCartney buys $15.5 million penthouse
- Dyeing hair helped Eva Green
- Michael Caine 'never tempted to stray' from wife
- I don't jump out of a trunk naked in 'The Duff': Ken Jeong
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Anupam Kher 'admires honesty' of body shamers
- Alanis Morissette believes breastfeeding can be `intimidating`
- Pamela Anderson says `learned a lesson` after divorcing Rick Salomon again
- Ashton Kutcher: Don't print paparazzi pics of my baby girl
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Being Human 'Veer Campaign' to help in skill training 5 lakh people with disabilities
- This is why Cara Delevingne hates modelling industry
- Kim K to her career critics: 'Try it. I dare you'
- Novelist F Scott Fitzgerald's 'Gatsby' home up for grabs
- Taylor Swift's ex beau Joe Jonas finds Gigi Hadid dating rumors funny
- Gay matrimonial ad receives over 70 responses from all over the world
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA