`Kaanchi` review: Subhash Ghai lacks showmanship
by Aparna Mudi
For a filmmaker who has churned out a bevy Box Office hits from `Karz` to `Taal`, the last decade and a half hasn’t turned out to be good for Subhash Ghai. With `Kaanchi`, Ghai remains true to form, and puts out yet another uninteresting production.
The year 2014 has so far been good for youngsters. Alia Bhatt, Sidharth Malhotra, Varun Dhawan, Parineeti Chopra and Arjun Kapoor have all wooed critics and audiences alike, but unfortunately it might not prove to be the same for Mishti.
Mishti plays the role of Kaanchi, a rebellious young lass from the hilly village of Koshampa in Uttarakhand. The character of Kaanchi seems to be heavily influenced by Ghai`s own Maansi from `Taal` (played by Aishwarya Rai). Her looks, her no-make up avatar, her light hazel eyes and her headstrong attitude are all reminiscent of Ash. However, as beautiful and innocent Mishti is as Kaanchi, she lacks the grace and poise of Aishwarya.
Kaanchi then has to move to big bad Mumbai to seek revenge when her young love is crushed under the wheels a la `Karz`. Kartik Tiwari is somewhat cute as her beau, but does not have a very established role. No wonder he has been absent from the promotional campaigns.
The girl takes on the over-the-top characters of the Kakras, played by Mithun Chakraborty and Rishi Kapoor.
The first half of the movie winds its way tortuously to form the basic premise of the revenge saga. With a dramatic twist just before the interval, things start looking up. But soon that little glimmer of hope dies when you see that Mishti, in a bid to show the grieving lover, starts shrieking. One can’t help but wonder whether she wants revenge or psychiatric help. Her performance over the course of the movie becomes monotonous and, even though she is not wooden, she does not do enough to make a clear mark in Bollywood.
The second half of the movie tries to emulate Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra`s `Rang De Basanti`. While `RDB` shone in the portrayal of young angst, `Kaanchi` just isn’t able to justify its plot. There is no desh ki seva in the heroine`s mind as she plots her sloppy revenge, but Ghai tries to bring in social activists and corruption in a bid to prove a point. The plot is so naïve that most of the audience was laughing at Kaanchi`s antics rather than supporting her in her movement.
Ghai tries to bank on the anti-corruption election fever, but even in that he fails as the negative characters are a completely waste of time.
Rishi and Mithun`s talent as actors needs no proof. But in this movie, they are nothing more than caricatures. Rishi tries to play the suave, loud-mouthed casanova and makes no impact. He lacks the charm, wit, humour or even pure evil.
Mithun, who has won three National Awards, is in a lost cause as well. He sleepwalks through the role of a heinous baddie that could have been small and yet powerful. He is sent off in the script just as dismissively.
Ghai’s movies have been known for their good music; even in some of his worst productions, this is one aspect that has been the saving grace. `Yaadein` and `Yuvraj` immediately spring to mind in this regard. But apart from `Kaanchi re Kaanchi` and `Kaisa Hai Dard Mera`, Ismail Durbar’s music sounds as if intended for a `B` grade movie. `Kambal Ke Neeche` is downright cheap, even though it tries to play on a popular college joke of adding a nasty line to movie or song titles.
All in all, `Kaanchi` does not work on any front. Watch the movie at your own risk. But spare a thought for Ghai - it breaks your heart to see a showman fail to produce a good show.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Amy' to premiere at Edinburgh Film Festival
- Piers Morgan returns to 'America's Got Talent' as guest
- Would love to work with Irrfan again: 'The Lunchbox' director
- Short films are stepping stone for any filmmaker: Vikas Bahl
- Kanye West almost killed while hiking
- No point in fighting ageing, says George Clooney
- Alia Bhatt turns vegetarian!
- 'San Andreas' to release in Hindi and English on May 29
- Khloe Kardashian draws criticism for wearing niqab
- I was wrong to start fight with Tyson Beckford: Chris Brown
- My ambition is to be honourable family man: Ranveer Singh
- My ambition is to be honourable family man: Ranveer Singh
- Ranbir Kapoor is a fantastic actor: Aamir Khan
- Shahid Kapoor sleepless over marriage?
- Kriti finds Sonam, Deepika, Priyanka stylish
- I'm absolutely fine: Adah Sharma on accident rumour
- Sameera Reddy blessed with baby boy!
- Daddy Akshay Kumar goes mango plucking for daughter
- Happy Birthday AbRam Khan!
- Adah Sharma meets with accident, hospitalised
- Watch: Ranveer Singh in 'Hunger Ki Bajao' video!
- See pics: Riteish, Genelia with their little bundle of joy 'Riaan'!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared