`Madras Cafe` earns over Rs.20 crore; viewers call it intelligent
New Delhi: Shoojit Sircar-directed `Madras Cafe`, which courted controversy after Tamil activists alleged that the political thriller presents LTTE cadres as terrorists, has not only impressed audiences, who tag it as an "intelligent film", but also collected over Rs.20 crore in three days.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted that the movie, which released Aug 23 on 1,200 screens, collected over Rs.20 crore within three days of its release.
"`Madras Cafe` collected approximately Rs 20.42 crore to Rs.20.67 crore net in its opening weekend. On Friday, it earned Rs.5.17 crore, Saturday Rs.7 crore and on Sunday Rs.8.25 crore to Rs. 8.50 crore," said Taran in his tweet.
The story revolves around the Sri Lankan civil war and has been praised for its intellectual content.
“The movie is very good. The occupancy this weekend was around 65 percent. I heard one of the viewers saying that it’s an intelligent and honest film. The audience was mostly mature,” an official of a multiplex here said.
Co-produced by John Abraham and Viacom 18 Motion Pictures, the political thriller that stars John in the lead, along with Nargis Fakhri and Raashi Khanna, was reportedly made at a budget of less than Rs.10 crore.
Even filmmaker Karan Johar found the film "intelligent".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss 10: Manu Punjabi to make a comeback on Salman Khan's show?
- Relationships, friendships and more: Karan Johar reveals the truth about actors
- Ranveer Singh prefers to protect his personal life!
- Seven times Karisma Kapoor gave us serious fashion goals
- Are stubborn acne marks troubling you? Check out these home remedies
- Box Office report: Here's how much 'Dear Zindagi', 'Kahaani 2' collected on Saturday!
- Rana Daggubati, Taapsee Pannu's 'The Ghazi Attack' to strike patriotic chord
- What made Sanjay Leela Bhansali believe that Deepika Padukone's 'Padmavati' has kick started!
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2' new teaser trailer takes excitement up a notch
- Is THIS the reason why Farhan Akhtar refused to act in Akshay Kumar's 'Gold'?