`Masoom` cannot be made better: Naseeruddin Shah
Mumbai: Veteran actor-director Naseeruddin Shah cringes at the very mention of the "remake trend". He says he neither understands the "business" of remakes, nor is he in favour of a new version of his 1983 critically acclaimed film `Masoom`.
"I don`t understand this remake business. Films that are being remade shouldn`t be made in the first place. Bollywood is just betraying its complete mental lethargy by doing this! Earlier it was done differently, but unless you have some different angle to it, one should not do it," Naseeruddin said in an interview.
`Masoom`, directed by the maverick Shekhar Kapur, was about how the news of a man`s love child creates havoc in the life of a happy family. Naseeruddin played the father, while Shabana Azmi essayed his wife.
It is one of Naseeruddin`s favourite films from his career of over four decades.
The buzz is the actor-singer-producer Himesh Reshammiya has recently bought the remake rights of the movie. Naseeruddin says the film`s story is not conducive to modern times.
" `Masoom` cannot be made better. I don`t think anybody should try remaking `Masoom`. In this modern world of emails and mobile phones, how is it possible that a child grew up to the age of 10, and his father has no clue of his existence?" he asked.
In the recent past, Bollywood filmmakers have shown a fancy towards a string of old movies. `Agneepath`, `Himmatwala`, `Chashme Buddoor`, `Don`, `Umrao Jaan` and `Karzzzz` are some examples, while the remakes of `Hero`, `Zanjeer` and `Baton Baton Mein` are in the works.
Meanwhile, even at 64, the actor is continuing a versatile filmography. `Peepli Live`, `Ishqiya`, `7 Khoon Maaf` and `The Dirty Picture` stand proof - and with `Dedh Ishqiya` and `Jackpot` he is proving himself further.
Till date, he admits, he does every film with equal enthusiasm and with a sense of commitment.
"I have never done any film which I didn`t want to do ever in my life. Every project that I have got into is with the same enthusiasm and same hope. Some have worked out and some have not. It`s unfair to say which ones are my favourites. People still talk about films like `Masoom` and `Monsoon Wedding` and I get best wishes from people.
"There are also times when you are shooting a film and you know that the film is not going to work, but you can`t walk out of a project! Too many people end up losing a lot of money; besides, there is also a commitment issue," he said.
A multi-faceted personality, Naseeruddin turned director with `Yun Hota To Kya Hota` in 2006. And the industry is still waiting for his next project.
But, he says: "It`s too difficult to direct films!"
"I don`t have the visual sense and to take decisions - both qualities that you need to be a filmmaker. I guess I enjoy directing theatre, but not cinema because in cinema, if you make one thing, it`s there forever and you will be judged as a filmmaker on that.
"That time (for `Yun Hota...`), I felt like making a film, so I went ahead. Now I don`t know...may be I will or won`t," he added.
Nevertheless, he is appreciative of efforts by filmmakers such as Anurag Kashyap and Tigmanshu Dhulia, who, in his opinion, are preparing the ground for future filmmakers.
"Anurag and Tigmanshu are preparing the ground for future filmmakers. We should celebrate, but not get carried away with this change," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Martin Sheen calls his wife 'scariest woman'
- Robert Downey Jr travels with his furniture
- Hundreds say farewell at funeral for blues great BB King
- Kim Kardashian is a great wing woman: Paris Hilton
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' breaks into Rs 100 crore club
- Vidya Balan turns down Suchitra Sen biopic
- Disney pulls plug on 'Tron 3'
- 21 European films to be screened in Kolkata
- Mamata Banerjee remembers Rituparno Ghosh as West Bengal's pride
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- 'Ishqedarriyaan' review: An oft-seen love story
- Chris Brown sometimes hated himself
- Nicki Minaj particular about sex
- Taylor Swift accepts she isn't 'overtly sexy'
- 'Share your Plate' campaign to aid underprivileged kids
- Regional cuisines to dominate in coming year: Chef Sanjay Thomas
- David Gandy to quit modelling
- Ian Somerhalder refuses to pose for fans
- Kate Moss feels she's as famous as Katie Price
- I looked in the mirror and hated the person I see: Chris Brown
- Dyeing hair makes men look older: George Clooney
- Pharrell Williams buys USD 7m Hollywood Hills home
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- If Congress was pro-poor, why does poverty still exist in India, asks PM Narendra Modi
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Check biharboard.ac.in / biharboard.bih.nic.in for Bihar School Examination Board BSEB Inter Arts Result 2015
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses