`Waar` rakes in moolah at box office
Karachi: Pakistani film revolving around the theme of terrorism in the country has set new record openings at the box office, beating the takings of Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan starrer `Chennai Express` at Eid ul Fitr two months back.
`Waar` which stars Pakistani actor-director Shaan was released on Wednesday and raked in approximately 20 million rupees on its first two days, a record for any film released in the country.
"On the first day it was released across 42 screens in the country and it took in around 11.4 million rupees which is even better than the nine million rupees mustered by `Chennai Express` on its opening day at Eid," film distributor and owner of the Atrium multiplex cinemas, Nadeem Mandviwalla told said.
He said it is a healthy sign for Pakistani film industry that `Waar` did good business with direct competition from Akshay Kumar`s `Boss`, which also did well on the opening day.
"I would say going by the first two days `Waar` should rake in around 50 million rupees in its first week of exhibition across the country," he said.
The film is a debut for director Bilal Lashari and is said to be the most expensive Pakistani film made at a budget of 2.5 million. It has caught the imagination and interest of viewers with its catchy trailer and action sequences.
Mandviwalla said the advance bookings for the film had also been helped by the unusually long Eid holidays and noted the year had been a good one for Pakistani film industry.
"Films like `Main Hoon Shahid Afridi` which took in 55 million rupees, `Zinda Bhaag` which has also done well and now `Waar` have given the Pakistani film industry a new credibility and distributors, exhibitors are willing to bank on them," he said.
As a result of the new wave of Pakistani cinema, `Boss` was only released in seven cineplexes and cinemas in Karachi on Eid but industry insiders say it also did good business.
`Waar` which also stars TV actors like Shamoon Abbasi, Ayesha Khan and singer Ali Azmat has been given an adults-only certificate by the Sindh Board of Film Censors.
According to Umer Khitab Khan, an SBFC member, this is because of obscene language and violent scenes in the movie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian artist showcases paintings in Egypt
- Biennale foundation to chose curator for 2016 edition
- I hope after 'Quantico', Indian actors are taken seriously: Priyanka Chopra
- TV show 'Maharana Pratap' completes two years
- Anas Rashid injured on 'Diya Aur Baati Hum' set
- Sarabjit Singh's sister Dalbir Kaur visits 'Veera' set
- Darshan Raval to do cameo in 'Badtameez Dil'
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Want to imbibe Anil's dedication, passion for work: Arjun Kapoor
- Veteran actor Dharmendra hospitalised
- Ajay Devgn to light up box office on Diwali 2016, 2017
- Nick Cannon vents about 'false relationship' on Instagram
- Ricky Martin believes in `connect before marriage
- Taylor Swift goes on dinner date with Calvin Harris
- Katy Perry, John Mayer dating again?
- Nicki Minaj's rapper beau says not ready for marriage yet
- Kris Jenner encourages Kendall to date Lewis Hamilton?
- Doubt Zayn and I will get married this summer: Perrie Edwards
- Paltrow, Chris Martin attend Memorial Day bash together
- If you're 28, it doesn't mean you've to get married: Kangana Ranaut
- Katy Perry doesn't want to talk about ex-husband Russell Brand
- Lewis Hamilton, Gigi Hadid dating?
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India