‘3G’ review: This ‘Killer Connection’ lacks connectivity!
Writer-Director duo Sheershak Anand and Shantanu Ray Chhibber’s ‘3G’ is a psychological horror film that has been touted to be an almost genre-defining one. In addition to that is the fact that the offering at hand deals with something as common in our technology-driven lives of the day as a 3G connection and a mobile phone. One is bound to have decent expectations from the film.
The film begins with a bang catching you unawares and making you shout in surprise. After the credits in the beginning – and the innovative way in which the credits roll out deserves a special mention – Sonal Chauhan emerges from the sea in a red bikini, showing ample amount of skin thereby making it difficult for men to take their eyes off her. Sheena (Sonal) and Sam (Neil) are on a holiday in Fiji when the latter’s phone slips into the sea. Sam gets himself a second hand 3G enabled phone.
The phone becomes the reason Sam and Sheena lose their peaceful sleep. There are phantom video calls which repeatedly reiterate the last moments of some woman’s death; there are weird occurrences inside the villa. All of which leave the protagonists at the end of their tether. Gradually, the two realise that they have stepped into a quagmire and are being pulled deeper into it with every passing moment.
Neil Nitin Mukesh’s last outing, ‘David’, despite a performance that was extremely praiseworthy, did not manage to fare well at the Box Office. In this film, too, Neil acts wholeheartedly – essaying with honesty the role that he is required to perform. His transitions from the doting lover Sam to his menacing kohl-eyed, earringed doppelganger are smooth and quite believable. There are moments where you feel at one with Sam’s plight and at others you cringe in disgust at his doppelganger’s actions.
Sonal Chauhan, too, puts her efforts into her character and keeps the viewer mostly engaged. At times, one’s attention does tend to sway, but Chauhan as the lost-in-love damsel does a good job of performing her character. Mrinalini Sharma and Ashish Kapoor support the story ably, though there’s not enough scope for one to delve deeper into their characters.
The film is shot in the exotic Fiji and the crystal clear waters, the impeccable beaches and the grand-looking cottages are all a treat to the eyes. However, the brilliance of the sceneries falls badly short of making up for the weak script. The film begins by trying to unravel the mystery behind Sam’s phantom calls, but ends up elsewhere. Sheershak and Shantanu’s story, though fresh, loses its way in the maze that the guys create for themselves. ‘3G’ loses steam after the first half and meanders off to another aspect of the 21st century life altogether.
Added to that is the fact that the film is heavily dependent upon its ridiculously scary background score. Even bread in Sam-Sheena’s hotel pops out of the toaster with an ear-splitting sound. Ditto with times when the scare factor is absolutely unnecessary. There are times when the film offers genuine chills and thrills, but many of them are background score-enabled.
Mithoon’s music is pleasant and utterly croon-able. ‘Kaise bataaoon’ in KK and Sonal Chauhan’s voice is a melodious blend of enjoyable music and beautiful lyrics. ‘Khalbali’ is another track which will probably make its way to the top of the music charts soon enough. Adnan Sami’s rendition of ‘Bulbulliya’ is praiseworthy.
In all, ‘3G’ works in spurts and due to its performances – and Neil Nitin Mukesh is mostly responsible for that. However, there’s a sense of a connection being snapped somewhere. One will sit through the film but will be left wondering where he/she missed something. Two stars for The Killer Connection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Neha Sharma to romance John Abraham in 'Hera Pheri 3'
- I was called silly for doing 'Fashion': Priyanka Chopra
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' cast to rock 'Comedy Nights With Kapil'
- Shah Rukh Khan discharged from hospital after knee surgery
- Rebel Wilson sparks Mickey Gooch Jr dating rumors
- Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield hold hands post split
- Bradley Cooper, Irina Shayk getting serious?
- I was on my knees for 28 minutes to propose Amal: Clooney
- I fell for my boyfriend Justin Long on Instagram: Seyfried
- I want my husband to see me strong: Celine Dion
- Bieber goes hiking with model Jayde Pierce
- Irina Shayk dumped Cristiano Ronaldo for cheating on her
- Geri Halliwell marries F1 boss Christian Horner
- Ian and Nikki's wedding was beautiful: Nina Dobrev
- David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson share kiss at music gig
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'