Amitabh Bachchan defends Indian cinema, says it integrates people
Mumbai: Megastar Amitabh Bachchan is upset how Indian cinema is being "accused of various faults". Defending the same, he says it is the lone entity in the world that integrates people under one roof.
"Many people have criticised Indian cinema and accused it of various faults and frailties that we have, but I do believe that when we sit inside a cinema hall to watch a film, we never ask the caste, the creed and the colour or the religion of the person who is sitting next to me (us)," the 70-year-old said here Friday.
He spoke at the valedictory function of a conference on International Commerce and Management at University of Mumbai, which has bestowed upon a special honour on him for his contribution to cinema.
The veteran says films are a rare medium which binds people from all over.
"We enjoy the same jokes, we enjoy the same music, we cry at the same emotions and I do feel that there are very few institutions left in this world that can say or claim of this kind of integration that exists inside the cinema hall.
"Therefore, I feel that the cinema today is one entity that is left in this world, which under one roof integrates people, rather than divides them, as we can see happening so often and almost everyday," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- The new 'X-Files' script made me cry: David Duchovny
- Kabir Khan shows 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser to fans
- Confirmed: Rekha exits 'Fitoor', Tabu steps in
- ‘Son of Sardaar’ Ajay Devgn grabs Diwali 2017 slot!
- Lindsay Lohan avoids jail with 125 hours of community service
- Rap mogul 'Suge' Knight refuses to attend L.A. court hearing
- Remo D’Souza is now on Twitter!
- Jacqueline Fernandez in love with Salman Khan’s eyes
- Salman Khan to tweet in Hindi, Urdu
- Check out: Shah Rukh Khan, AbRam’s selfie
- 'The Spectacular Jihad...' inspired by 9/11 attacks
- Taapsee Pannu to don khaki in Selvaraghavan's 'Kaan'
- 'Baahubali' trailer to launch in Dolby Atmos sound
- Miss India UAE Nivetha debuts in 'Oru Naal Koothu'
- 'Gour Hari Dastaan' to release on August 14
- Don't have time for Bollywood: Venkat Prabhu
- Anjali is Balakrishna's heroine in 'Dictator'
- 'Legend' success cemented my career in Telugu filmdom: Sonal Chauhan
- Pawan Kalyan sports bearded look for 'Gabbar Singh 2'
- Suriya pushed me towards excellence: Venkat Prabhu
- Dhanush, Vetrimaaran team up for third time
- Retrospective pays tribute to Rabindranath Tagore
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow