‘Bol Bachchan’ review: Impressive acting saves an otherwise foolish film!
Amitabh Bachchan’s cameo in the title song sort of gives people a hint of what ambrosia is in store for them all through ‘Bol Bachchan’. And believe me; leave your sensibilities at home before going to watch this one. They will not be able to bear so much of torment.
So after the opening song, the film takes about five minutes to make Abbas Ali (Abhishek Bachchan) and his sister Sania Ali (Asin) migrate from Delhi to Ranakpur in Rajasthan. Reason – the severely used and abused evil-brother-wrongly-usurping-all-property-of-the-good-brother theory, and Abbas and Sania find themselves, barely a blink-of-an-eye later, in an alien land.
During the train journey from Delhi to Rajasthan, Shastri (Asrani) fills the brother and sister in about the methods of Ranakpur. Prithvi Raj Singh (Ajay Devgn) is the unofficial ruler of the village, and is at loggerheads with his cousin. The audience is treated to snippets of Prithvi’s detestation for lies and liars and his equal concern for the injured. The Pehelwan Prithvi is single-handedly responsible for the good of the village and its villagers and would lay down his life but not shift elsewhere – despite constantly being attacked by his goon of a cousin.
After the initial exchange of greetings among Abbas, Sania and Shastri’s family, a child accidentally falls into a pond adjacent to a temple. The temple in question is one that lies on disputed ground. When Abbas breaks the lock of the temple door to try and save the child, the atmosphere is taut with apprehension. He is a Muslim who has dared to break the lock of a temple, and that too, one that had been abandoned – thanks to the two warring villages. Confronted by the exceedingly strong and whimsical Prithvi, a major lie is concocted. And there begins the madcap ride.
Radhika (Prachi Desai), Prithvi’s sister is safely tucked away in her college in Delhi, and all hell breaks loose when she is abducted on her way from Delhi to Ranakpur. The script thereafter shows, in intricate detail, the love between the brother and the sister, and the reason the sister is not allowed to venture out of her home.
The film has its moments, undoubtedly. What with the overdose of Ajay’s ‘English is a very funny language’, Abhishek Bachchan’s natural comical acting and Archana Puran Singh’s act of Zohra, the film makes you laugh out loud at many points. ‘Bol Bachchan’ revolves around Amol Palekar’s moustache-confusion in ‘Golmaal’, and is necessarily constructed on the same theme. The comedy of errors is retained from Hrishikesh Mukherjee’s film, and the plot of this one, too, is nothing different from the original.
The point with movies like ‘Bol Bachchan’ is that there is nothing in it that is not predictable. It is not as if people can expect a shoddy piece of work and get inside theatres and be surprised to see the reverse. The music of Himesh Reshammiya, and added to that his nasal voice, are tortuous to the ears. The comic element is all that redeems the film, and of course, the acting of the cast. All of that culminates in a proper comedy, but the story line is non-existent.
Leave the dry reason and logic at home, and there you have a brilliant movie. Infuse an iota of logic into it, and your brain screams out for a Saridon at intervals of five to ten minutes. The anthologised SMS jokes and the wafer-thin plot are some of the reasons the film doesn’t appear anything out of the box.
They say what can’t be cured, must be endured. Once you give in to that adage and ask your white matter to exit the theatre, you will enjoy the film. Watch ‘Bol Bachchan’ just for laughing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gay matrimonial ad receives over 70 responses from all over the world
- Aishwarya stuns in Elie Saab gown for amfAR Gala
- ABBA star Bjorn Ulvaeus wants euthanasia if becomes too painfully ill
- Kim K advises Kylie Jenner to 'draw line' post temporary lip fillers confession
- 'Sooryavansham' has personal connect with many: Amitabh Bachchan
- How Elton John's 'dodgy' videos once embarrassed Ed Sheeran at US customs
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' movie review: Kangana's swag is par-excellence!
- Amitabh Bachchan, Hirani praise 'Miss Tanakpur...' trailer
- Puri Jagannath to work with Nithiin before Chiranjeevi
- Jyotika's comeback film rakes in over Rs.8 crore
- Simon Cowell feels Cheryl Fernandez and Louis Walsh argue like Tom and Jerry
- Bradley Cooper, Irina Shayk getting serious?
- I was on my knees for 28 minutes to propose Amal: Clooney
- I fell for my boyfriend Justin Long on Instagram: Seyfried
- I want my husband to see me strong: Celine Dion
- Bieber goes hiking with model Jayde Pierce
- Irina Shayk dumped Cristiano Ronaldo for cheating on her
- Geri Halliwell marries F1 boss Christian Horner
- Ian and Nikki's wedding was beautiful: Nina Dobrev
- David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson share kiss at music gig
- Kim Kardashian, Kanye West to renew wedding vows in Paris?
- Jamie Foxx feels ready for another relationship
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared
- China calls US actions in South China Sea 'irresponsible, dangerous'
- Why new Apple Watch update may not monitor your heart rate reliably
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared