Can`t imagine `Munnabhai` without Sanjay Dutt: Director
Shimla: It seems Sanjay Dutt`s jail `yatra` has come in the way of his `journey` to Delhi. Director Subhash Kapoor says the third installment of the ‘Munnabhai’ movie will start only when the actor finishes his jail stint.
"We can`t imagine Munnabhai`s next part minus Sanjay Dutt," said Kapoor, who was set to wield the megaphone for ‘Munnabhai Chale Dilli’.
The Supreme Court Friday dismissed Sanjay`s plea seeking review of its March 21 judgment upholding his conviction under the Arms Act and sentencing him to five years in jail in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case.
Dutt, 53, was sentenced to five years in jail by the apex court March 21 for illegal possession of arms during the 1993 Mumbai blasts.
The actor has already undergone one-and-half years of imprisonment and, according to the apex court order, he has to complete the remaining three-and half years of the sentence.
"We will wait for our lead actor to complete his jail term," Kapoor, who was here on a personal visit, told IANS in an interview.
"He (Sanjay) and Circuit (Arshad Varsi) are the true spirit of Munnabhai series," said Kapoor.
The first two films – ‘Munnabhai M.B.B.S’ and ‘Lage Raho Munna Bhai’ - were directed by Rajkumar Hirani, but for the third instalment Kapoor has been roped in.
The director is nevertheless hopeful of Sanjay`s early release.
"We are hopeful that Sanjay will be freed early (on humanitarian grounds)," he added.
Forty-one-year-old Kapoor has his roots in the hill state. His family belongs to Sujanpur Tihra in Hamirpur district. But he was brought up in Delhi.
Journalist-turned-producer and director, Kapoor made his debut with ‘Say Salaam India’, which failed at the box office.
But his films ‘Phas Gaye Rey Obama’ and ‘Jolly LLB’ were decent films.
"Bollywood recognises talent, but for this you need an opportunity. For the new entrants getting an opportunity depends all upon break," Kapoor said.
"My struggle in Bollywood, in fact, started after my first movie flopped," he said.
For him, the picturesque hill stations of Himachal Pradesh always attract him. "I am working on a script which will mainly portray `virgin` destinations of Himachal," he said.
From Shimla, Kapoor is heading to the picturesque tourist resort Kalpa in Kinnaur district, some 250 km from here.
"I love long drives. I have come here driving all the way from Delhi. Now I am driving to Kalpa," said Kapoor, who lost his left arm in an accident when he was five years old.
On censorship, Kapoor said he`s against it.
"I personally believe in self-censorship. Eighty percent of the filmmakers believe in self-censorship. Sometimes some abuses in movies (as in `Gang of Wasseypur` or `Omkara`) are a demand of the script and they cannot be censored," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Let your hair shine in summer
- Women more forgiving towards attractive men
- 'Terminator Genisys' to release in India on July 3
- Kim Kardashian, Kanye West exploring surrogacy?
- Paul McCartney almost played Ross' father-in-Law on 'Friends'
- Tracy Morgan settles car crash lawsuit with Walmart
- Top five celebrities and their non-starry partners!
- It's okay to have mental illness: Demi Lovato
- Natalie Portman relives 'dark moments' at Harvard in speech
- Top 5 women directors in Bollywood
- Nick Cannon vents about 'false relationship' on Instagram
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- 'Lay Me Down' changed my life: Sam Smith
- Rap mogul 'Suge' Knight refuses to attend L.A. court hearing
- HC seeks ways to restrain songs promoting drugs and alcohol
- Sam Smith dedicates tweets to fans to celebrate debut album's 1st anniversary
- Judge to hold hearing on whether Shakira's copyright accuser lied
- Ricky Kej grateful to everyone who felt his music
- Sidharth Malhotra, Kriti Sanon 'As I Am' music anthem becomes a rage
- 'Obsessed' Dave Grohl dedicates song to Taylor Swift
- Noel Gallagher rejects Oasis reunion rumours
- Bickram Ghosh to open music gurukul in Singapore, London
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi