Doggy Sahiba`s arrival changed my career: Tigmanshu Dhulia
Mumbai: Filmmaker Tigmanshu Dhulia, who is riding high on the success of ‘Sahib Biwi Aur Gangster Returns’ (SBAGR), says it was the arrival of his doggy named Sahiba, his "lucky mascot", which changed the course of his career.
He says he has even paid a small tribute to her in his latest film.
"The minute she arrived in my life, my career changed. When she walked in, `Sahib Biwi Aur Gangster` commenced. She is my lucky mascot," Dhulia said about Sahiba.
The ‘Paan Singh Tomar’ director got talking about his struggle with his past projects and his tryst with success. Excerpts from the interview:
Q. SBAGR is far more technically polished than the first film.
A. I don`t rely on technique for the effectuality of my films. No, my films are not technique-driven. I don`t depend on camera angles or fancy shots to tell my story. But yes, the sequel is more opulent than the first film. The first film was shot in just 29 days, guerrilla style, because there was no budget. We didn`t pay any of the main actors. We didn`t have money to pay any of the main actors or technicians.
Q. I am sure you will make up for their unpaid remuneration this time around.
A. I hope to! Let`s see what the collections are. I made ‘Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster’ because I was waiting for the release of ‘Paan Singh Tomar’. UTV was taking time. Rather than wait, I decided to make this other film. ‘Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster’ was made because I needed to work while waiting for the release of ‘Paan Singh Tomar’.
Q. Would you say ‘Paan Singh Tomar’ changed the direction of your career?
A. I`d say ‘Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster’ did that. But I actually owe my career to my first film ‘Haasil’. For seven years after ‘Haasil’, I had no release. All the films that I started during that period got stalled... But you know what? If I had made a typical massy film as my directorial debut, I`d have been forgotten in those seven years. But because ‘Haasil’ was a different kind of film, I held on.
Q. You named your dog Action post your ‘Haasil’ days, so you could say the magical word that you as a director craved to in the sets?
A. Yes! Action is still there, hale and hearty. But my friends found another doggie on the streets, almost dead in a drain. We brought her to my office because my friends know I love dogs. We named her Sahiba. The minute she arrived in my life, my career changed. When she walked in, `Sahib Biwi Aur Gangster` commenced. She is my lucky mascot. A little tribute was paid to Sahiba in `Sahib Biwi Aur Gangster`.
Q. My favourite actor in ‘Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster’, and now the sequel, is Rajeev Gupta. He plays the `porn` politician in the sequel.
A. He was there in in all my films, including ‘Paan Singh Tomar’. Rajeev Gupta is a small entrepreneur in Delhi. He runs a shop for auto spare parts and nurtures a passion for acting. I was assisting Mani Ratnam in ‘Dil Se...’ when I first got Rajeev to do a small role. He keeps doing small roles to keep the actor alive within him.
Q. You`ve written a scene in SBAGR where Rajeev Gupta is caught looking at porn on his laptop?
A. That was written specially for Rajeev. It`s an eight-minute long sequence. It`s inspired by those two politicians from real life caught enjoying porn in parliament. I think we need to develop a sense of humour about Indian politics.
Q. In fact Irrfan`s part-time politician`s character is named Raja Bhaiyya?
A. (Laughs) You know, Irrfan`s name in the film is Indrajeet Singh. But everyone calls him Raja Bhaiyya because he is a prince. His character is not inspired by Raja Bhaiyya (Raghuraj Pratap Singh alias Raja Bhaiyya, independent legislator from Uttar Pradesh). Irrfan`s character represents a fading feudalism. In real life, such former feudal lords get the same respect from the staff in their haveli as they did earlier, while everything else outside has changed.
Q. What made you choose Irrfan to play this role?
A. Actually, Neil Nitin Mukesh was supposed to do a film. He saw ‘Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster’ and wanted to be in the sequel. We met and shook hands. But as I wrote the script, I realised I needed an older man for the part. The Neil-Mahie Gill pair would have looked odd. That`s when I asked Irrfan. Luckily, he agreed. I owe Neil a role.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paul McCartney buys $15.5 million penthouse
- Dyeing hair helped Eva Green
- Michael Caine 'never tempted to stray' from wife
- I don't jump out of a trunk naked in 'The Duff': Ken Jeong
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Still in discussion: Ekta Kapoor on female lead of 'Azhar'
- 'PK', joint productions create Bollywood buzz in China
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Musical fund-raising event for Nepal quake victims
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record with 20.1m views in 1day
- Paul McCartney pens new songs for film adaptation of his book
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record
- 'Love birds' Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris plan to write song together
- Zayn Malik's fiancee feels 'naked' sans ring
- How 'Zaroori tha' became vital for 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'?
- Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris plan to write song together
- Sawyer Fredericks wins 'The Voice' season 8
- Jazz musician Bob Belden dies
- Florence + the Machine's rousing new song 'Delilah' released
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA