‘Ek Thi Daayan’ review: Performances lift the ‘spirits’ high!
A film that boasts of an incredibly talented star cast- Emraan Hashmi, Konkona Sen Sharma, Kalki Koechlin and Huma Qureshi - will most definitely leave you in awe, for they have, till date, delivered performances that leave you asking for more.
And ‘Ek Thi Daayan’, directed by Kannan Iyer, will certainly impress you as far as the performances of the actors are concerned. But beyond that, the film lacks substance and comes across as an average representation of witchcraft and the age-old belief in the presence of ‘Daayans’.
Written by Mukul Sharma and Vishal Bhardwaj, ‘Ek Thi Daayan’ revolves round the life of Bobo (Emraan Hashmi), a renowned magician, whose only support system is his ladylove Tamara (Huma Qureshi). They make a blissful couple who decide to adopt an orphan – Zuben. Bobo’s life is almost close to perfect, until he is haunted by a Daayan. He seeks the help of a hypnotist, Dr Palit, to help himself unravel mysteries of his past and to have a rendezvous with the eerie side of his life. And that is when he is reminded of his sister, father (Pawan Malhotra) and step-mother Diana (Konkona Sen Sharma).
In a state of hypnosis, Bobo remembers his passion for witchcraft and various other incidents that lead to a spooky revelation.
It was indeed a refreshing sight to see Emraan don a new avatar. As Bobo, he delivers a performance worth applause. Huma Qureshi looks stunning and has proved her acting prowess yet again. But the one who will mesmerize you is Konkona. An actor par excellence, the ‘Mr & Mrs Iyer’ actress is impeccable. Kalki Koechlin as Lisa Dutt, who you would meet in the second half of the film, is subtle but impressive. Child actor Visheh Tiwari (young Bobo) is a powerhouse of talent. Sky is the limit for the kid.
The Art Direction team has done a commendable job by giving a visual representation to their eerie side of their creativity. The sets emit a sense of supernatural presence and help boost an otherwise middling story.
However, the story fails to substantiate the emergence of a Daayan in Bobo’s life and the subsequent happenings. The film could have been a lot different had the makers opted for an unconventional way of recreating witchcraft and supernatural presence on celluloid. Though certain sequences send shivers down your spine, the rest fail to grip your senses. The Lunar eclipse, the leap year, the screeching sounds of the daayan and the constant projection of a lizard are all too jumbled up and intend to forcefully create a sense of claustrophobia.
Kannan Iyer as the captain of the ship is impressive. Wish he had been supported by a more intriguing story. As expected, songs composed by Vishal Bhardwaj soothe your soul. The track ‘Kaali kaali aakhon ka kaala kaala jadu hai’ is marvellous.
Overall, the film hasn’t been able to live up to the hype that had been created all along. Technically, it may score, but in terms of content, ‘Ek Thi Daayan’ is way too somber.
You may watch the film for the fine show put up by the actors.
Two and a half for the film and half a star more for the performances.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What is Varun Dhawan's promise to Salman Khan?
- Divyanka Tripathi intimidates her fans
- Rajkumar Hirani produces his sister's play
- Paul McCartney buys $15.5 million penthouse
- Dyeing hair helped Eva Green
- Michael Caine 'never tempted to stray' from wife
- I don't jump out of a trunk naked in 'The Duff': Ken Jeong
- 'Indian Idol Junior' sets ball rolling with Bollywood music
- Boman Irani, Sonu Sood to share relationship secrets on Farah Khan's show
- Ahsaan Qureshi in talks for 'Tu Mera Hero'?
- Azharuddin trains Emraan for biopic 'Azhar'
- Anupam Kher 'admires honesty' of body shamers
- Popular porn film carries message about testicular cancer
- Alanis Morissette believes breastfeeding can be `intimidating`
- Pamela Anderson says `learned a lesson` after divorcing Rick Salomon again
- Ashton Kutcher: Don't print paparazzi pics of my baby girl
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Being Human 'Veer Campaign' to help in skill training 5 lakh people with disabilities
- This is why Cara Delevingne hates modelling industry
- Kim K to her career critics: 'Try it. I dare you'
- Novelist F Scott Fitzgerald's 'Gatsby' home up for grabs
- Taylor Swift's ex beau Joe Jonas finds Gigi Hadid dating rumors funny
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared