Failure of `Himmatwala` my fault: Sajid Khan
Mumbai: Director Sajid Khan, whose `Himmatwala` remake starring Ajay Devgan tanked at the box office, said he chose the wrong project at the wrong time and the failure of the film was his sole responsibility.
"As the captain of the ship, it is entirely my fault. I let down my audiences and I hope I will never do that again. Somewhere you have to take responsibility for doing things. I did not commit a crime. I did not make a bad film I made a wrong film," Sajid said.
Sajid started his career as a full-fledged director with blockbuster `Heyy Baby` and repeated the performance with `Housefull` and `Housefull 2`.
"The times have changed very fast. A lot of films made on the lines of `Himmatwala` have not done well as the cinema is changing. I made the wrong film at the wrong time. But I have decided to move ahead," he said.
Sajid thinks his name is associated with comedy films and that went against the film.
"Somewhere people couldn`t digest and understand whether this film was a comedy or not. They were in shock that this is not a comedy. So I will make sure my next films are comedy," he added.
The failure of the film did not jolt Sajid but surprised him.
"I was happy it (film) covered the money and did not incur any loss. But it did not achieve the kind of success I had hoped. I am a fast-learner. (Though) I don`t take myself seriously, I take my work seriously. I have moved ahead and I am making a typical Sajid Khan, funny entertainer film," he said.
`Himmatwala` of 1983, starring Jitendra and Sridevi, was Sajid`s favourite childhood film and he wanted to recreate the magic of the bygone era on the celluloid again.
"I feel feels this period of 80s did not go well with the audience of today," the 41-year-old said.
Sajid admitted that the failure of the project taught him to be prudent while making any statement on prospects his rojects.
"If I have said something and if that comes true then I pat myself on back. If I have said something which has hurt someone then I would have slapped myself. I am the greatest critic of mine. `Himmatwala` has taught me to go easy while talking as sometimes I get carried away and say things. I don`t think much before saying anything," he said.
Sajid is back as one of the judges for the dance reality show `Nach Baliye` along with Shilpa Shetty and ace choreographer Terence Lewis.
"We had a great fun as judges last season. I am happy to be back with them. We enjoy being together on the show and did gossipping as it was a long day shoot. It is important to be with people you like and vibe with," he said.
According to Sajid, the show this time is going to be fast-paced, bolder and larger than life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kabir Khan shares pic of stunning location where Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will begin
- Check out five stunning Instagram photos of ‘Mohenjo Daro’ beauty Pooja Hegde
- Iulia Vantur celebrated her birthday with this Bollywood celebrity – Pics inside
- Salman Khan acquitted by Rajasthan High Court in two chinkara poaching cases
- Former ‘Bigg Boss’ contestant Mandana Karimi engaged; wedding bells to ring soon
- ‘Wanted’ duo Salman Khan – Prabhudheva to team up again?
- 'Madaari' Box Office collections: Irrfan Khan starrer mints Rs 5.75 crores
- Arshad Warsi all set to don director's hat!
- Meet 'Chaani-Sarman' from Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'- See new poster
- 'Doctor Strange' trailer: As spellbinding as it could be!- Watch