Films influence society: Farhan Akhtar
Mumbai: Filmmaker and actor Farhan Akhtar admits films influence the general public, but says more than the sleazy item songs, what impacts is the way the hero romances his on-screen love interest.
"I do believe that films do have an influence. More than the item songs phenomenon, it is in the way our heroes romance our women. I think that`s a very crucial thing and it has changed over the years," the 39-year-old said here Thursday during One Billion Rising, a global campaign to raise awareness about gender-based violence across 200 countries.
Love on screen has become more open and bold, and this is something that worries Akhtar.
"You know there was a time when it was hidden. Then it became very sincere and romantic, and now it has gone into a (different) phase," he said.
He feels introspection is necessary.
"Everyone needs to be introspective and realise when it is a female celebrating her sexuality, sensuality, her independence or when does the male gaze take over - I think that`s very crucial!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Biopic on Dhoni made tax free in UP
- Tiger Shroff kickstarts ‘Munna Michael’, shares warm up video!
- 'MS Dhoni: The Untold Story' crosses Rs 20 crore mark in India on opening day
- Won't let 'Ae Dil Hai Mushqil' and 'Raees' release: Raj Thackeray
- Sushant Singh Rajput's 'MS Dhoni: The Untold Story' becomes second highest opener of 2016!