Gurinder Chadha wants Saif to play Nehru in her next
Mumbai: Britain-based Indian filmmaker Gurinder Chadha sports a new look and is ready to wear the director`s hat again. She`ll soon begin filming a movie on partition, to be shot in Delhi and Jodhpur, and is keen to rope in Bollywood star Saif Ali Khan as Jawaharlal Nehru in it.
Chadha, who has lost 25 kg, has already spoken to Naseeruddin Shah to play Muhammad Ali Jinnah in the film -- and he`s game.
"This is my biggest challenge to date. I`ve been working on my partition film for some time now. The central character is Lord Mountbatten. The movie is set in January 1947 when Mountbatten was asked to oversee India and the movie ends in August 1947, so it`s a brief time span.
"But (it is) a huge canvas requiring tonnes and tonnes of research and scores of characters. I`ve spoken to some people including Naseer and Saif. Nehru`s role is a cameo, so I wonder if Saif would be willing to do it," she said on phone from London.
She has been working on the partition film while changing nappies and feeding the babies. She plans to roll it on floors in October.
The film`s central figure would be Lord Mountbatten, and either of the two Hollywood biggies -- Colin Firth or Michael Fassbender - will step in to play the role.
The "Bend It Like Beckham" and "Bride and Prejudice" filmmaker has already locked locations for the shooting.
"I`ve already acquired the necessary permission to shoot everywhere in India including Rashtrapati Bhavan. So I am all set. I don`t have to shoot in Pakistan at all. This would be my ultimate dream project and I can`t wait for it to take off," she added.
But she has to wait until October because an astrologer has advised her so.
"The wife of the author of the book, on which my partition film is based, is heavily into astrology. She says October is a good time to start," she said.
For now, she is looking forward to running between Blackpool and Manchester with the Olympics torch Saturday.
"Though it`s just a 300-yard run, I`ve been practising for it for months. There will be 8,000 people to cheer me on. My friends and relatives are coming there with drums and other musical instruments to cheer me.
"I am super excited to have been selected to run and I see it as a great honour. I get to keep the torch too, so my children will have a very special memento to keep in years to come," added the 52-year-old.
Since her five-year-old twins have started attending school now, she has six hours to herself at home.
"I`m making up for lost time," she quipped.
Chadha was also in Mumbai last month for her friend Karan Johar`s 40th birthday party.
"But no one saw me slip in and slip out, probably because there was so much less of me now to see," she quipped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tabu will bring whole new energy to 'Fitoor': Abhishek Kapoor
- Michael Gambon to play Winston Churchill in ITV drama
- 'PK' collects $7.03 mn in China
- I am a fan of Tom Hanks: Al Pacino
- A movie about Mumbai Film Festival
- Karan Johar starts promoting 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil'
- Check out: Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser to release tonight!
- Watch: Ranveer, Anushka's love story in new 'Dil Dhadakne Do' dialogue promo
- 'Baaghi': Tiger Shroff, Shraddha Kapoor turn rebels in love!
- 'Twin Peaks' to get 18 new episodes
- First trailer of 'Point Break' remake released
- Lindsay Lohan avoids jail with 125 hours of community service
- Remo D’Souza is now on Twitter!
- Jacqueline Fernandez in love with Salman Khan’s eyes
- Salman Khan to tweet in Hindi, Urdu
- Check out: Shah Rukh Khan, AbRam’s selfie
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- I’ve fallen in love with acting, says Lauren Gottlieb
- Playing Kashibai emotionally draining for Priyanka Chopra
- Shraddha Kapoor visits 'Baaghi' set ahead of shoot
- Salman Khan thanks Aamir, Shah Rukh for 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' poster release
- 'Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya blaze'
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi