‘Himmatwala’: Sajid Khan, Ajay Devgn’s charm tepid at the box office!
Delhi: Sajid Khan’s re-make of the 1980s blockbuster ‘Himmatwala’, that opened to theatres March 29, hasn’t been able to gross expected amounts of moolah as far as the box office is concerned. The film starring Ajay Devgn, Tamannah and Paresh Rawal in pivotal roles earned mediocre money given the fact that the film was given a wide release.
According to trade analyst Taran Adarsh, “(‘Himmatwala’) Fared well in mass-dominated belt [single screens] on Friday, but the negative word of mouth hit the business hard as BO numbers came sliding down on Saturday. Sunday, however, was slightly better than Saturday, but lower than Friday, which says it all. Meanwhile, the business at plexes remained dull all through the weekend. In view of the fact that UTV has given the film a wide release, the weekend numbers are shockingly low. Collected approx Rs 31.1 cr nett in its opening weekend. Breakup: Fri 12.1 cr, Sat 8.5 cr, Sun 10.5 cr.”
The original 1983 version had Jeetendra and Sridevi in major roles. The 2013 re-make has almost unanimously been panned by critics. Viewers too, have not really been impressed with Ajay Devgn’s latest – as is evident from the ‘Himmatwala’ jokes that went viral on microblogging site Twitter following the release of the film.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kangana Ranaut flies to US to prepare for role in 'Simran'
- Would love to direct Ajay Devgn, Kajol in a family drama: Rohit Shetty
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- 'Lion' trailer: Dev Patel once again proves his acting brilliance – Watch
- Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' vs Hrithik Roshan's 'Mohenjo Daro': Week two BO collections are out!