‘Humshakals’ review: Sajid Khan strikes again!
By Gayatri Sankar
Mumbai: ‘Humshakals’ by Sajid Khan is an attempt to tell the tale of three men and their lookalikes and a situation where their misplacement leads to confusion and purported comedy.
But the film turns out to be nothing but an unimpressive, boring two-and-a-half-hour long journey, where the traveller desperately awaits some entertainment.
The multi-starrer featuring Saif Ali Khan, Riteish Deshmukh, Ram Kapoor, Bipasha Basu, Esha Gupta and Tammanah Bhatia, sadly, has absolutely nix to offer to the movie goer.
Ashok Singhania (Saif Ali Khan), who happens to be a business tycoon, has a strange desire to become a stand-up comedian. His childhood friend Kumar (Riteish Deshmukh), has no other business in the world, but to stand by his buddy 24 X 7! Ashok’s father, the founder of Singhania Petrochemicals, who has slipped into coma, has no one but his son to look after his business empire. And wait... let us introduce you the villain of the story - Kunwar Amar Nath Singh aka KANS (Ram Kapoor), Ashok’s maternal uncle, who desperately needs the power of attorney of the business empire in his name. And the clichéd Bollywood trend continues - the villain has an accomplice in the form of a scientist- Dr Khan. And as if he wasn’t enough, Sajid “blesses” Dr Khan with two gay assistants- Chinku & Pinku!
Dr Khan specialises in making behavioural changes in the human DNA to change people into dogs by giving them a dose of a solution that he has prepared.
The “supposed” story of ‘Humshakals’ revolves around KANS’s malicious desire to take over the Singhania Empire and Ashok-Kumar duo’s attempt to save it. But wait, there’s a lot more to unfold. You have 2 more Ashoks (Saif), 2 more Kumars (Riteish), one Balwinder(Ram) and one Johnny (Ram)!
The leading ladies - Bipasha Basu, Esha Gupta and Tamannah- make appearances here and there during the course of the film. But hardly have any more to do. However, they do look gorgeous!
Saif has delivered commendable performances in films like ‘Hum Tum’, ‘Dil Chahta Hai’, ‘Omkara’ etc. But people wouldn’t really want to see Saif in a film that has absolutely nothing but yawns to offer. Riteish has mastered the comedy genre. But as the actor himself reportedly said recently, there is a lot more than comedy to be expected from him. And Ram is a fine actor. He can explore more in the future and definitely deliver in the comedy front.
Bijlani (Chunky Pandey) as the Sindhi guy is a forced character in the movie. But one must applaud him, for he has perfected the Sindhi accent.
Sajid’s love for London, ‘House of Commons’ and Prince Charles seem obvious. ‘Housefull’, ‘Housefull 2’ were both shot in the English capital. After a rustic ‘Himmatwala’ shot in India, the filmmaker chose to fly to London again to shoot the supposed “comedy of errors”. But sadly there’s no comedy but only an avalanche of errors.
‘Humshakals’ comes across as nothing but a desperate yet failed attempt to tickle the funny bone. The filmmaker must understand that even slapstick comedy needs to be funny enough to be entertaining.
The sequences where the trio (Ashok, Kumar & Johnny) disguise as women to woo their lookalikes are somewhat hilarious primarily because the three men actually look amusing in their feminine garb.
The music composed by Himesh Reshammiya doesn’t do any good to the film either. The songs make the sagging plot even more pathetic. Technicalities come into the picture only when the film has something worthwhile. But when the plot itself is this messy, any other merits of the film are hardly noteworthy.
Sajid Khan’s ‘Humshakals’ promised to be a much better product than his previous venture - ‘Himmatwala’. But sadly, ‘Humshakals’ will do severe damage to your understanding of comedy.
If you really don’t have much to do this weekend, try taking your kids for the movie to check if they succeed in finding humour in the film.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Peppy 'Happy Birthday' song from 'ABCD2'!
- Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh gear up for IIFA 2015
- Katy Perry doesn't want to talk about ex-husband Russell Brand
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' concept art reveals all-new costumes
- 'Gilmore Girls' reunion on the cards?
- 'Agent Carter' season 2 will consist of 10 episodes: Atwell
- Melody Gardot eager for album release
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on stage
- 'Britain's Got Talent' is not fixed: Amanda Holden
- Brad Bird gave up 'Star Wars' for 'Tomorrowland'
- Alicia Vikander in 'Assassin's Creed' and new Bourne film?
- Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh gear up for IIFA 2015
- B.B. King death to be investigated as homicide
- Ranveer Singh goes gaga over Anushka Sharma!
- Shahid Kapoor reaches the 6 million mark on Twitter!
- Bombay High Court likely to hear Salman Khan's travel plea on Tuesday
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita Khan's wedding reception in Mandi
- Salman Khan arrives in Himachal Pradesh to attend Arpita's wedding reception
- Kim Kardashian shares candid images on first anniversary with Kanye
- I'm not retiring from acting: Patrick Dempsey
- Akshay Kumar looks dapper in first selfie, poses shirtless
- Simon Cowell sued by former 'The X Factor' contestant
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM