I am an awkward romancer in `Shirin Farhad...`: Boman Irani
New Delhi: Boman Irani says he enjoyed being a clumsy lover in the upcoming film ‘Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal Padi’ where he is paired opposite director Farah Khan.
"I am an awkward romancer. This is the first time I have done some romancing in a film but it is a very clumsy romance and I love that about it. It`s not that typical sunset kiss romance. It was great fun... It is a zany little film and there is something to be said `That love has no expiry date`," Boman told reporters.
The 52-year-old has portrayed a variety of roles in his decade-old-career in films like ‘Munna Bhai MBBS’, ‘Lage Raho Munna Bhai’, ‘Khosla Ka Ghosla’ and ‘3 Idiots’.
Boman is set to play another challenging role in Rajesh Mapuskar`s debut film ‘Ferrari Ki Sawaari’ where he will be playing a grandfather for the first on the big screen.
The actor says he did not mind taking up the role of a grandfather because characters should not be judged by age.
"I didn`t look at him as a grandfather. I just looked at him as a character who had real issues. They give me an old man`s face and an old man`s beard but it is just another human being at the end of the day. When I read the script I didn`t feel that he was an old man but only that he is a character going through hell," Boman said.
The actor says his character is a total wreck until his grandson changes his life and shows him the value of family.
A Vidhu Vinod Chopra production and co-written by Rajkumar Hirani, the film stars Sharman Joshi and will hit the theaters on July 15.
Boman is very proud of the movie and thinks to write a
script without a heroine in it is a brave decision taken by Mapuskar.
"To have a film without a heroine is a brave step. But it doesn`t matter because the hero and the heroine of this film is the story. The movie tries to show various flaws in human beings and not just portray them in the typical larger than life manner. I like when the characters are flawed, it brings a sense of reality," he said.
The actor, who comes from a theater background, said despite doing variety of roles he still feels like a toddler in Bollywood and age is no obstacle for him to keep on going.
"It`s been only nine years. I am just a toddler... Being older is an advantage... I have lived the life, I have that much more life`s experiences that I can draw into my characters. I am in an advantageous position. Because as a human I have seen so much more that I am a lot more calm towards my job, without wanting to be famous.
"I don`t want to do things so that I can be famous. I won`t deny that there is a lot of fan following but at the end of the day it`s a job. I got to work and that studio is not there to play a star but to play a character," Boman said.
The actor also said he does not choose a film based on his character but on what the script has to say.
"I don`t talk about the character, I first listen to the story and then ask the director `What is it that you want to say at the end of the film? If he gives me a good enough answer I am doing the film.
"I don`t really understand characters. What the film is saying is directly proportionate to the character. I work on characterisation only on the basis of what film is saying," Boman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I hope after 'Quantico', Indian actors are taken seriously: Priyanka Chopra
- TV show 'Maharana Pratap' completes two years
- Anas Rashid injured on 'Diya Aur Baati Hum' set
- Sarabjit Singh's sister Dalbir Kaur visits 'Veera' set
- Darshan Raval to do cameo in 'Badtameez Dil'
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Want to imbibe Anil's dedication, passion for work: Arjun Kapoor
- Veteran actor Dharmendra hospitalised
- Ajay Devgn to light up box office on Diwali 2016, 2017
- Masaba Gupta to dedicate fashion line to IIFA
- Ronit Roy spent six months to learn Haryanvi
- Musical tribute to Noor Jehan, but with a twist
- Sonakshi Sinha to sing at IIFA
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- 'Lay Me Down' changed my life: Sam Smith
- Rap mogul 'Suge' Knight refuses to attend L.A. court hearing
- HC seeks ways to restrain songs promoting drugs and alcohol
- Sam Smith dedicates tweets to fans to celebrate debut album's 1st anniversary
- Judge to hold hearing on whether Shakira's copyright accuser lied
- Ricky Kej grateful to everyone who felt his music
- Sidharth Malhotra, Kriti Sanon 'As I Am' music anthem becomes a rage
- 'Obsessed' Dave Grohl dedicates song to Taylor Swift
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India