I don`t want to be accessory in films: Amrita Puri
New Delhi: Be it a `chick flick` like "Aisha" or a `bromance` like "Kai Po Che!", actress Amrita Puri doesn`t mind being a supporting actor, but says she is careful about staying away from movies in which she just gets to be an "accessory".
"Bollywood continues to be a male-dominated, a hero-centric industry. That is the reason why I have been picky about my roles and prefer to keep gaps in between each film that I do. I don`t want to be just an accessory in films, so I must have an integral and meaty role in whatever I get," Amrita said.
Then wasn`t choosing a film like "Kai Po Che!", about three male friends, a hard choice?
"It wasn`t a hard choice at all! I was more than happy with it because Gattu (Abhishek Kapoor) was on top of my list of the directors I wanted to work with, and then the role is fantastic! I was in no dilemma about this one at all," said the 29-year-old, who played a small town girl in her debut film "Aisha", and was then seen as a housewife in "Blood Money".
In "Kai Po Che!", the big screen adaptation of Chetan Bhagat`s bestseller "The 3 Mistakes Of My Life", she plays sister to Bollywood debutant Sushant Singh Rajput and the love interest of the character essayed by Rajkumar Yadav.
As an actor, Amrita admits it is very comforting that "supporting roles" have a renewed importance in the Hindi film industry.
"The trend has changed. There`s a lot more credit given to actors in supporting roles and it is great that the perspective is changing. The response to Nawazuddin Siddiqui is a great case in point.
"It is wonderful that actors who are great at their craft are getting good roles which support the main characters of a film," said Amrita, adding that the trend has also opened gates for newcomers in Bollywood.
She herself doesn`t come from a film family, but has a background in theatre. In her free time, she loves to be busy with her plays and she specifically likes to be on her toes travelling here and there.
"I love travelling! I`ve recently been to Kerala and Goa, and I also love watching movies, reading and I have taken a liking to painting lately," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'San Andreas' built to entertain, not traumatise: Director
- Azealia Banks to star in 'Coco'
- Look cool in denim during summer
- 'Amy' to premiere at Edinburgh Film Festival
- Piers Morgan returns to 'America's Got Talent' as guest
- Would love to work with Irrfan again: 'The Lunchbox' director
- Short films are stepping stone for any filmmaker: Vikas Bahl
- Kanye West almost killed while hiking
- No point in fighting ageing, says George Clooney
- Alia Bhatt turns vegetarian!
- 'San Andreas' to release in Hindi and English on May 29
- My ambition is to be honourable family man: Ranveer Singh
- Ranbir Kapoor is a fantastic actor: Aamir Khan
- Shahid Kapoor sleepless over marriage?
- Kriti finds Sonam, Deepika, Priyanka stylish
- I'm absolutely fine: Adah Sharma on accident rumour
- Sameera Reddy blessed with baby boy!
- Daddy Akshay Kumar goes mango plucking for daughter
- Happy Birthday AbRam Khan!
- Adah Sharma meets with accident, hospitalised
- Watch: Ranveer Singh in 'Hunger Ki Bajao' video!
- See pics: Riteish, Genelia with their little bundle of joy 'Riaan'!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow