I wanted `Highway` to be my first film: Imtiaz Ali
New Delhi: Over the years, Imtiaz Ali got busy directing romances like `Socha Na Tha`, `Jab We Met` and Rockstar` but finally he is happy to revisit his dream story in his upcoming film `Highway`.
The director, who has redefined romance in Bollywood by giving lovable, relatable characters to audiences, says he is intrigued by the story and by the fact that it has refused to leave him all these years.
"I intended this to be my first film. I thought of it first while I was directing TV serials. Over the years, I wrote the script, forgot about it and continued to visit it time and again but I would always end up doing other movies," Ali said in an interview.
"After I finished `Rockstar`, I realised that I will keep not making `Highway` forever unless I jumped into it right now," says Ali, who has completed 70 per cent of the film.
Starring Randeep Hooda and Alia Bhatt, `Highway` is co-produced by Ali and Sajid Nadiadwala under a new banner, White Window. It is slated to release on December 13 this year.
The director believes it is his most honest work till date.
"I have thought of making this story in so many ways that finally what has come is the very essence. All the hard substances are gone from it. Also, I wanted to do it in a very pure manner and not contaminate it because sometimes your own incapacity as a storyteller comes in the way and you think of shortcuts.
"I am also trying to discover what it is that this story has always been in my mind. What is so intensely fascinating about it that I have not let it go," says Ali.
As the name suggests, `Highway` is set in six different states and captures the journey of two completely opposite people who are thrown together by fate. Ali is confident that Randeep and Alia fit the bill perfectly.
"I was looking for a very city girl for the character of Veera Tripathi. She is very high society, rich girl who is thrown into the wild and Alia comes from there. Randeep is fit as Mahabir Bhati, who comes from the wild. He is gujjar from the semi-criminal dark zone," says Ali.
He is teaming with A R Rahman again for the film post their successful collaboration on `Rockstar`. Ali says he was initially hesitant to approach Rahman as the music director was very busy at that time.
"We started this film in a big hurry. So, I did not want to trouble him but we stay in touch and I mentioned the story to him one day. We talked about it for a while and he was onboard."
Ali is aware that the music may draw comparison with `Rockstar` but says that the nature of two movies is completely different.
"The nature of this movie is very different. This story is played out on a large and very picturesque terrain. In this kind of journey you feel certain things that can`t be expressed except through music. Most of the songs play in the backgroung in `Highway`."
Ali has another movie in the pipeline that will star Ranbir Kapoor. He will start working on it once `Highway` is released.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Singer Ed Sheeran and his ''lazy eye'' immortalized in wax
- Priyanka Chopra thanks ‘Dil Dhadakne Do’ team
- Why is Deepika Padukone proud of Ranveer Singh?
- Indian artist showcases paintings in Egypt
- Biennale foundation to chose curator for 2016 edition
- I hope after 'Quantico', Indian actors are taken seriously: Priyanka Chopra
- TV show 'Maharana Pratap' completes two years
- Anas Rashid injured on 'Diya Aur Baati Hum' set
- Sarabjit Singh's sister Dalbir Kaur visits 'Veera' set
- Darshan Raval to do cameo in 'Badtameez Dil'
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Musical tribute to Noor Jehan, but with a twist
- Sonakshi Sinha to sing at IIFA
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- 'Lay Me Down' changed my life: Sam Smith
- Rap mogul 'Suge' Knight refuses to attend L.A. court hearing
- HC seeks ways to restrain songs promoting drugs and alcohol
- Sam Smith dedicates tweets to fans to celebrate debut album's 1st anniversary
- Judge to hold hearing on whether Shakira's copyright accuser lied
- Ricky Kej grateful to everyone who felt his music
- Sidharth Malhotra, Kriti Sanon 'As I Am' music anthem becomes a rage
- 'Obsessed' Dave Grohl dedicates song to Taylor Swift
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India