Imran and Anushka go Haryanvi for `Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Madola'
New Delhi: Vishal Bhardwaj, who earlier explored the badlands of western Uttar Pradesh for "Omkara", wanted a rustic Haryana setting for his new film "Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola" and set costume designer Payal Saluja on the job. And what an image change it turns out to be for its stars Imran Khan and Anushka Sharma!
`Chocolate boy` Imran has turned a Haryana boy, complete with full beard, earrings and muscles. And Anushka Sharma, marked for her Punjabi image, wears a grungy look. Veteran Pankaj Kapoor wears two looks - one classy and another as rustic as it gets!
Set in a Haryana village, the comedy-drama is about Harry Mandola (Pankaj), an industrialist whose life revolves around drinking and daughter Bijlee (Anushka), and both father and daughter share an unusual bond with Harry`s Man Friday, Matru (Imran).
Bhardwaj was clear in his directive, says Saluja. "He wanted an authentic Haryana flavour in the look of the film."
It was a challenge given the cast.
"Imran has an urban look and image. We had to add a rustic flavour. Vishal didn`t want a raw-looking protagonist since he wanted to show the character as educated and well-travelled. So we worked around a modern rustic look for Imran," Saluja told IANS.
For his character, Imran was made to wear a `khamiz`, the tunic worn by men in the region. He was given a `gamcha`, the handy scarf slung across the shoulders. He also sported a heavily bearded look during the shoot and went out of his way to get his ears pierced to wear `murki` (gold earrings worn by men in the region).
The usually lean Imran beefed up to play Matru. The fair-skinned actor was also given a natural tan to become what Saluja likes to describe as a "sexy rustic man".
"Imran was accommodating. He wanted to get comfortable with the accessories and used to wear them and the costume even after the shoot. The look is not caricaturish, and he carried it all naturally," said Saluja, who earlier worked with Bhardwaj on "Saat Khoon Maaf", "Ishqiya" and "Maqbool".
Pankaj Kapoor, who Saluja considers is a "bank of knowledge and talent", was given two looks.
"He is naturally rustic looking. So for one look, he had to look like a rich, classy industrialist. We had to design a businessman`s image. We used natural fabrics like linen in muted tones like grey, beige and off white, and accessorised it with hats and stoles. We sourced some high-class hats from Europe.
"For Pankaj-ji`s second look, we went into the interiors of northern India, to Rohtak, where you will find people who are as Jat as it gets. So we drew this look through the people in the villages," said Saluja, who took a month for her research to style the movie.
Anushka`s look required some mix and match. So far, Anushka has been seen as a city girl with Punjabi touch but this movie sees her in a different light.
"For one sequence, we got a `desi ghaghra` made. It is traditional and its `ghera` was made out of 26 metres of cloth. The ghaghra, made by locals, was heavy, and despite Anushka`s tiny waist, she used to wear it happily," she said.
When so much work goes into designing looks and wardrobe for the cast, the budget has to be big.
Bhardwaj was kind with the budget, says Saluja, refusing to divulge any figures.
"Vishal understands costume well. He takes a lot of interest in each department, and so it is satisfying to work with him," she said.
The film is expected to come out January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I hope after 'Quantico', Indian actors are taken seriously: Priyanka Chopra
- TV show 'Maharana Pratap' completes two years
- Anas Rashid injured on 'Diya Aur Baati Hum' set
- Sarabjit Singh's sister Dalbir Kaur visits 'Veera' set
- Darshan Raval to do cameo in 'Badtameez Dil'
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Want to imbibe Anil's passion, dedication for work: Arjun Kapoor
- Veteran actor Dharmendra hospitalised
- Ajay Devgn to light up box office on Diwali 2016, 2017
- Masaba Gupta to dedicate fashion line to IIFA
- Ronit Roy spent six months to learn Haryanvi
- No foul play in death of Chilean poet Neruda, researchers say
- Scrapbook provides rare insight to India's cinema history
- Flights of imagination: An aeronautical engineer as a famous novelist
- Comic book king Stan Lee to come out with graphic memoir
- Julianna Margulies to author children's picture book
- Unfinished memoirs of Orson Welles found
- Pamela Anderson to launch her photo book
- We are committed to fulfilling Dinkar ji's dreams: PM Modi
- Barbra Streisand's memoir to arrive in 2017
- Chelsea Clinton book 'It's Your World' coming
- British pianist wins right to publish memoirs of abuse
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm