In 2014, expect starry casts, gripping dramas
New Delhi: Be it Madhuri Dixit`s comeback films, Salman Khan`s combo of comedy and action or sequels of box office hits, 2014 is set to woo cine buffs with a well-packaged line-up that boasts of gritty dramas, star-studded entertainers and fun films.
12 movies to look out for in 2014:
`Dedh Ishqiya`: Apart from being one of Madhuri Dixit`s comeback films, it is high on content and performances with the likes of Naseeruddin Shah, Arshad Warsi and Huma Qureshi in the cast. A sequel to 2010 `Ishqiya`, the Abhishek Chaubey directorial venture promises to be different from the original. The film is a women-centric hinterland drama that will release Jan 10 and is likely to be a new cinematic experience for moviegoers thanks to the subject and the treatment.
`Jai Ho`: Scheduled for Jan 24, Salman Khan-starrar `Jai Ho` is a must watch for those who relish the superstars` antiques on the screen. What was originally called `Mental`, `Jai Ho` is a remake of Telugu film `Stalin`. Directed by Sohail Khan, the film also stars Tabu and Om Puri and is eagerly awaited by fans of Salman, who is known as a thorough entertainer.
`Gunday`: Based on the 1971 Bangladesh war of liberation, Yash Raj Films` period movie `Gunday` will be a ride back to the 1970s era. The story revolves around the lives of two victims - played by Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh - of the conflict. Promos reveal that the rustic feel is well-balanced by elegance in the film, which also stars Priyanka Chopra as a cabaret dancer and Irrfan as an intelligence officer. The project has been helmed by Ali Abbas Zafar and will release Feb 14.
`Gulaab Gang`: This will be Madhuri`s second release of 2014 and will see the otherwise composed actress in a fiery avatar of an activist who leads a group of women vigilantes to fight against injustice. The small town-based drama has been helmed by Soumik Sen and also features Juhi Chawla, Mahie Gill and Tannishtha Chatterjee. Produced by Anubhav Sinha, it will release March 7.
`Action Jackson`: Action-cum-masala seems to be a safe option when it comes to box office collections and "Action Jackson" falls in this genre. Being helmed by Prabhudheva, the Ajay Devgn-Sonakshi Sinha-Yami Gautam-Kunaal Roy Kapur-starrer promises to be a full on masala entertainer when it comes out on April 11.
`Bhootnath Returns`: Megastar Amitabh Bachchan`s "Bhootnath Returns" is another film to look forward to. The sequel to the 2008 `Bhootnath`, the horror-comedy is directed by Nitesh Tiwari. The original was a right mix of drama, emotion and good performances and part two is expected to go a notch higher.
"Peekay": Rajkumar Hirani`s "Peekay" is an exciting project thanks to its fabulous cast that includes Aamir Khan, Anushka Sharma, Sushant Singh Rajput and Boman Irani. A political satire, the film promises to show Aamir in a new avatar. The superstar was earlier photographed wearing a ghaghra and a blazer while shooting for the film.
"Humshakals": After "Himmatwala" turned turtle at the box office, Sajid Khan will try to hit the jackpot with "Humshakals" next year. Not only does the film have a promising cast - Saif Ali Khan, Riteish Deshmukh and Ram Kapoor - but the stars are expected to take the entertainment quotient higher in triple roles. The laugh riot has been shot abroad.
"Kick": Salman Khan will have another release in the form of "Kick", which has been in the news for the visa issues that the superstar faced while shooting abroad. Director Sajid Nadiadwala`s out-and-out commercial extravaganza will see the superstar teaming up with the highly acclaimed Nawazuddin Siddiqui.
"Bang Bang": After the success of "Krrish 3", Hrithik Roshan will be seen donning another action avatar in "Bang Bang". The film also features Katrina Kaif and the lead pair went through special training to perform the film`s action sequences. A Fox Star Studios production, "Bang Bang", directed by Siddharth Anand, is for action lovers.
"Happy New Year": The highlight of Farah Khan`s "Happy New Year" is the successful jodi of Shah Rukh Khan-Deepika Padukone and the duo will be supported by the likes of Abhishek Bachchan, Boman Irani and Sonu Sood in the cast. Tagged as a laugh riot, parts of the film have been shot in Dubai. It targets family audiences.
"Bombay Velvet": Capturing the beautiful locales of Sri Lanka, Anurag Kashyap`s "Bombay Velvet" features Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma. Spread over the 1950s and 1960s, the film will see Ranbir as a boxer. It is the first film of a trilogy on how Mumbai became a metropolis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter family hits 15 million!
- When Anushka, Priyanka waited for the boys!
- Ajay Devgn's 'Shivaay' to release on Diwali next year!
- Adele is going to be me in 40 years: Stevie Nicks
- I looked in the mirror and hated the person I see: Chris Brown
- Machine Gun Kelly confirms relationship with Amber Rose
- Dyeing hair makes men look older: George Clooney
- Khloe Karadashian ready for divorce?
- Pharrell Williams buys USD 7m Hollywood Hills home
- Lady Gaga to create dog products collection
- Bob Saget to return for 'Full House' revival
- Ajay Devgn's 'Shivaay' to release on Diwali next year!
- 'San Andreas' review: This temblor is worth watching
- Check out: Chic album cover of 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Check out: The spicy hindi poster of 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- My character adds suspense to 'ABCD 2': Raghav Juyal
- No plans to make 'Mickey Virus' prequel: Director
- Nawazuddin to play Pakistani journalist in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan'
- Didn't do '50 Shades' because of nudity: Emilia Clarke
- 'Jaws' returning to big screen for 40th Anniversary
- 'Maggie' review- Engaging zombie film
- 'Welcome 2 Karachi' review: Troublesome twosome
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly