Independence Day box office clash: Ajay Devgn, Sylvester Stallone
Mumbai: The India release of Hollywood star Sylvester Stallone`s `The Expendables 3` has been advanced by a week in time to release on Independence Day Aug 15, the same day when Ajay Devgn-starrer Bollywood entertainer `Singham Returns` is due to hit the screens.
MVP Entertainment and PVR Pictures, the Indian distributors of "The Expendables 3" decided to advance the release date because they believe a star-studded film like it can definitely put up a fight at the box office with Bollywood actioner `Singham Returns` and they didn`t want to miss out on the Independence Day weekend.
The distributors are also looking at a wider release for the project as the movie will hit theatres in four languages, including Hindi, Tamil and Telugu.
Deepak Sharma of PVR Pictures and Sunil Udhani of MVP Entertainment issued a joint statement Tuesday to confirm the news.
The statement read: "`The Expendables` has become one of the biggest franchises across the globe. The second part of the film performed phenomenally well in India with a release as wide as 800 screens. The new instalment of the film - `The Expendables 3` - is bigger than ever, with megastars like Mel Gibson and Antonio Banderas joining in, and the final product is stellar."
"We were toying with the idea of a release date between Aug 15 and Aug 21, and have concluded to come on Aug 15 along with the international release. We do understand that it is on the same day as `Singham Returns`, but we`re certain that two films of equal sizes can survive at the box office."
"The Expendables 3" also stars Arnold Schwarznegger, Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, Jason Statham just to name a few, while Rohit Shetty-directed "Singham Returns" stars Kareena Kapoor with Ajay Devgn.
"Stallone and Schwarzeneger have a humongous fan following in India and the genre of the film suits the appetite of people here. We will be dubbing the film in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu and are even hoping for a wider release this time around."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Shah Rukh Khan wasted an opportunity given by ‘Raees’ team
- Michael Jackson`s Neverland on sale for $100 million
- Witch hunting to be subject of new Assamese film
- Alia Bhatt teams up with mother for new ad
- Sonakshi Sinha's singing performance at IIFA a 'dream come true'
- IBFW 2015 to start on July 15, go beyond metros
- Khloe ready to finalise divorce from Lamar Odom
- 'San Andreas' review: This temblor is worth watching
- Neelesh Misra to scrutinise Indian governance in 'Ramrajya'
- 'Socially appealing' show attracts Amol Palekar back to TV
- 28 years of 'Mr. India' and Anil Kapoor still looks the same
- IBFW 2015 to start on July 15, go beyond metros
- Masaba Gupta to dedicate fashion line to IIFA
- Let your hair shine in summer
- I'm lucky to have good genes: Eva Longoria
- Kaley Cuoco dyes her hair, eyebrows bright bubblegum pink
- Expert detoxification guide for brides-to-be
- Look cool in denim during summer
- Blake Lively takes to fashion designing
- Kate Winslet feels makeup is 'liberating'
- Shield hair from monsoon humidity
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490