India guest country at Zurich film fest
Zurich: For its tenth edition, the Zurich Film Festival (ZFF) has welcomed India as its New World View section guest. The fest will screen ten new feature and documentary films by emerging Indian filmmakers and a short film block.
Away from the country`s "mass cinema tradition" known as Bollywood, the fest will instead focus on the young, independent scene where productions are approaching new themes with fresh narrative styles.
"In doing so, ZFF highlights a country with a tradition spanning more than 100 years of cinematic history and a production output - between 800 and 1,000 films annually," read a statement on the official ZFF website.
"The movement from mainstream to independent cinema is unmistakable. This development is incredibly exciting," the fest`s co-directors Nadja Schildknecht and Karl Spoerri, said in a statement.
M.K. Lokesh, Indian ambassador to Switzerland, is delighted by the festival`s choice.
“Over the years, the Indian film industry has achieved a very high level of technical standards and directional skills. In the Indo-Swiss context, the Indian cinema, by capturing the natural beauty of Switzerland in many films, contributed to Swiss popularity among Indian tourists.
"It is befitting that the Zurich Film Festival is showcasing India as the guest country this year," Lokesh said.
The film extravaganza will be held Sep 24-Oct 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Book lovers go gaga as cine-star Rishi Kapoor takes centrestage at Zee Jaipur Literature Festival
- 'Iron Man 3' actor Miguel Ferrer dead after battling throat cancer
- Zaira Wasim controversy: 'Dangal' star's posters burnt in Kashmir valley
- THIS is what Shah Rukh Khan can't do in front of camera!
- Shah Rukh Khan heads to 'Bigg Boss 10' sets, will meet Salman Khan!
- Deepika Padukone wants to work with THIS Hollywood superstar!
- Commando 2 POSTERS: Vidyut Jammwal, Esha Gupta, Adah Sharma and Freddy Daruwala pack a punch!
- 'Logan' TRAILER alert! Wolverine is back and how—Watch here
- Harshvardhan Kapoor expresses displeasure over Diljit Dosanjh's debut award win
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ and Roshans’ ‘Kaabil’ clash: My father is hurt, says Hrithik