Indian cinema yet to accept political stories: Shoojit Sircar
New Delhi: It took Shoojit Sircar six years to bring `Madras Cafe` on the big screen and the director, who faced protests in South before its release, feels Indian cinema is still not ready for political stories.
The film is inspired by the conspiracy and assassination of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi and Sircar knew that balancing the truth with drama would be tricky.
"It is very difficult to make films like `Madras Cafe` in India, given the diverse nature of the country. We are going there slowly but it will take sometime before we start accepting such stories. I feel fortunate that my film is one of the firsts," Sircar told reporters in an interview.
The director believes the film has worked because it does not deviate from the plot and avoids frills of conventional cinema such as song and dance.
"When I first thought about it, I knew that this one would be tricky. This is why it took me six years. I did not want to take any chance with the story. My biggest worry was mounting the civil war of Sri Lanka onscreen. It went through several drafts but once we figured out how to end the story, we were on," Sircar said.
Given the historical premise of the film, Sircar has been asked about his decision not to send the film to festival circuits.
But, he does not think that it was a missed chance.
"It is very difficult to explain but I did not think it was a festival film. I don`t want to categorise but I believe `Madras Cafe` was much more populist in its sentiments. I have seen many festival films and I will be blunt, I don`t think `Madras Cafe` was ready for festivals."
Asked about the protests that the film faced in South, Sircar admits he was worried about it.
"I am exhausted but relieved that film has found its audience. There are Tamilians who have watched the film and liked it as it does not politicise the issue and takes a neutral point of view," Sircar said.
The director, who made a promising start with `Yahaan`,
only to see his second project `Shoebite` get stalled due to a fight between two production houses, is encouraged by the success of `Vicky Donor` and `Madras Cafe`.
Sircar says he wants to make films that don`t take the audience for a ride and does not believe in touching benchmarks set by others including the much touted 100 crore club in Bollywood.
"I stopped caring about industry rules after my `Shoebite` did not release. I sat at home for four years doing nothing. I decided that I have certain taste in cinema and I will take it forward. I know there is an audience for such cinema," he said.
The debacle of the Amitabh Bachchan starrer continues to haunt Sircar as it was one of the hardest projects he ever worked on.
"It was a difficult film to shoot. Normally, you finish a film in four-five months but we spent one and a half years on that. I believe it is Mr Bachchan`s finest performances and is very close to his heart. He suffered a lot for the film. He has been very supportive ever since."
Shoojit, who has also co-produced with John Abraham, said it was great to find a willing collaborator in the actor.
"He has produced `Vicky Donor` and now `Madras Cafe`. It is quite daring decision for a new producer but he has chosen a middle path and has been very brave in his choices as a producer," he said.
Sircar has another ambitious story in mind and hopes to bring it on the big screen one day.
"I have a pre Independence story in mind, very political and would like to make a film on it. There a film with Ayushman, tentatively titled `Hamara Bajaj`. There is also film that I want to make with Mr Bachchan, I have only told him the idea and he has shown interest," he said.
Pic Courtesy: in.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Witch hunting to be subject of new Assamese film
- Alia Bhatt teams up with mother for new ad
- Sonakshi Sinha's singing performance at IIFA a 'dream come true'
- IBFW 2015 to start on July 15, go beyond metros
- Khloe ready to finalise divorce from Lamar Odom
- 'San Andreas' review: This temblor is worth watching
- Neelesh Misra to scrutinise Indian governance in 'Ramrajya'
- 'Socially appealing' show attracts Amol Palekar back to TV
- 28 years of 'Mr. India' and Anil Kapoor still looks the same
- Shoojit Sircar is terrific: Yami Gautam
- Sonu Nigam teams up with Sandesh Shandilya for 'Chalk n Duster'
- Charlie Weber marries fiancee
- Perry, Mayer not serious about each other?
- Taylor Swift asks Calvin Harris to move in
- Nick Cannon vents about 'false relationship' on Instagram
- Ricky Martin believes in `connect before marriage
- Taylor Swift goes on dinner date with Calvin Harris
- Katy Perry, John Mayer dating again?
- Nicki Minaj's rapper beau says not ready for marriage yet
- Kris Jenner encourages Kendall to date Lewis Hamilton?
- Doubt Zayn and I will get married this summer: Perrie Edwards
- Paltrow, Chris Martin attend Memorial Day bash together
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- DNA: Govt claims no power shortage, but India looms in darkness
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll rises to 1,826, over 1,300 dead in Andhra Pradesh
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination