‘Jolly LLB’ review: Film reflects harsh reality, tickles your funny bone
Bunches of files lie scattered with a thick layer of dust enveloping intricate details that can perhaps provide someone with justice. Alas! When they aren’t put into use (and are rather misused), they remain as garbage almost ready to be thrown into the waste paper basket. And if you have ever visited a court, you will know what I am talking about.
Coming from a director who loves donning the thinking cap, ‘Jolly LLB’ mirrors the existing judiciary system in the country, popular for dillydallying cases for years…perhaps ages! Moreover, it also speaks about the huge gap between the affluent class and the poor that seldom finds a bridge.
After ‘Phas Gaye Re Obama’ released in 2010, filmmaker Subhash Kapoor, through his latest starring Arshad Warsi and Boman Irani, has ripped the Indian judiciary apart in the most satirical way possible.
The film opens with a hit-and-run sequence and keeps the length of the film intricately woven together. As we are introduced to Jagdish Tyagi aka Jolly LLB (Arshad Warsi), a small time advocate, we are taken through the messy, unkempt and bizarre looking courts that is indeed a reflection of the real scenario. And if you believed a court in real looks like the ones popularly projected in films until now, you will be taken aback. Yes, indeed, because things aren’t in order… and neither are those “lawyers” who supposedly fight for justice.
Jolly aspires to be a popular lawyer, who moves from Meerut to Delhi in order to enhance his career opportunities. His only support system in his hometown, his ladylove Sandhya (played by Amrita Rao), is a school teacher who lives a humble life. Jolly strives hard to make his livelihood in the capital. Besides her, his brother-in-law (played by Manoj Pahwa) keeps his hopes alive.
Jolly gets an opportunity to meet his inspiration, high-profile advocate Rajpal (played by Boman Irani) in a court room. He expresses his awe to his idol and admires him for his intelligence and courage to fight for ‘justice’.
Now that he has been able to convey his regards to the famous advocate, he dreams to grow as popular as him. And on the following day, Jolly commences his trip to stardom.
Arshad Warsi as Jolly has not only brought life to his character but has infused soul into it too. No superstar could have made Jolly so real and lovable. And Boman Irani is at his awesomest best in the film. Filmmaker Kapoor couldn’t have thought of anyone else but them to play their respective characters, for they simply look tailor made for their roles.
Veteran actor Mohan Aghashe, Mohan Kapoor and ‘Kallu Mama’ Saurabh Shukla are fabulous. Shukla steals the show in the court scenes where at points he yells his throat out saying, “Yeh mera court room hai”. The court room sequences will certainly tickle your funny bone.
However, filmmaker Kapoor could have done without the ‘Daru’ song that kind of spoils the flow of the film. The director must also consider omitting lip-synced songs from his films for they look forced. But Kailash Kher’s background song ‘Kauwa Chala dekho hans ki chaal’ is rustic, hummable and befits the situation.
The film is quite predictable but what keeps you intrigued is the little nuances of anticipation. Nonetheless, the film does grip you making you wonder if you would ever want to see the judicial system remain as it is. For justice delayed is justice denied, isn’t it?
And who says only superstars can draw crowd to the theatres? ‘Jolly LLB’ will prove the conventional notion wrong. Highly recommended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ashton Kutcher: Don't print paparazzi pics of my baby girl
- 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2' to hit theaters in March 2016
- One dead in shootout at Mumbai Film City, tweets Amitabh Bachchan
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record with 20.1m views in 1day
- Maggie Gyllenhaal rejected for a role as she's too old
- 'My Best Friend's Wedding' gets Chinese remake
- Being Human 'Veer Campaign' to help in skill training 5 lakh people with disabilities
- Paul McCartney pens new songs for film adaptation of his book
- 'Toy Story 4' to be a brand new chapter: John Lasseter
- Looking good allows better performance: Sunidhi on weight loss
- Rebel Wilson sparks Mickey Gooch Jr dating rumors
- A miniseries from "The Wire" creator set to start in August
- Shikhar Dhawan to enter 'Nach Baliye 7' as wild card?
- 'Khooni Saaya' will help create more vigilant society: Rohit Roy
- Maimie McCoy won't be part of 'The Musketeers' 3
- Rowan Atkinson to appear on 'Horrible Histories'
- Dolphin reality show filming suspended in Portugal
- 'Quantico': Siddharth Mallya auditioned to play Priyanka's lover?
- US TV pioneer David Letterman bows out
- Amit Tandon 'honoured' to be backed by Ekta Kapoor
- New &TV show to promote unconventional talent
- 'Glee' cast remembers Cory Monteith in final season
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'