Kavita Krishnamurti, Dipti Naval among `Sampurna` awardees
Kolkata: In an honour for women achievers, famous playback singer Kavita Krishnamurti, film personality Dipti Naval, choreographer Saroj Khan and cricketer Jhulan Goswami were conferred the `Sampurna` Awards in recognition of their talents.
Litterateur Nabanita Deb Sen, artiste Shanu Lahiri and social worker Dr Sudha Kaul were the other `Sampurna` awardees picked up by a distinguished panel headed by percussionist Tanmoy Bose.
"I have picked up the personalities from their immense contributions in the spheres of art, culture and sports, we will make it bigger next time," said Bose about the selecting the seven for the award instituted by a cultural organisation Celebrations International and Asha Audio.
"(I am) Feeling so humbled for being bestowed the honour. I feel flattered. This is a recognition of my talent from the people of Bengal," Naval said.
Krishnamurti said "it is a wonderful feeling to be called Sampurna in this land, which means totality."
Jhulan, who has made the state and country proud in the game of cricket, said "I should not say anything before such luminaries... But feel proud to be chosen."
Eminent danseuse Priti Patel, later participated in `Sampurna`, a medley of fashion, dance and music revisiting the Mahabharata, along with Tollywood actors Arpita Pal, June Maliah and Locket Chatterjee.
Patel said the concept of the award which celebrated the liberated, beautiful and strong women in contemporary period and the dance performance which drew reference from the mentally strong women of the epic, gelled with each other.
Bose said: "In the show, I have sought to bridge the epic distance of time and space separating them. Instead of making the characters strut on a ramp, we have blended the traditional and contemporary through dance and set."
Eminent painter Sanatan Dinda, who had prepared the set highlighted by the wheel of a chariot, said while initially he was edgy after Bose asked him, the very concept of celebrating and felicitating women power across ages egged him on to try something novel.
Director Goutam Ghosh, who was also present on the occasion last Sunday, `Sampurna` manifests the concept of women as the real power. A spokesman from Asha Audio said next year the criterion will be more elaborate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Charlie Weber marries fiancee
- Dharmendra is fit and fine: Esha Deol
- Taylor Swift concert wristband save three teenagers' lives
- Perry, Mayer not serious about each other?
- Kendrick Lamar wants to be positive role model
- Taylor Swift asks Calvin Harris to move in
- Feel fortunate that Ranveer and I get along well: Arjun
- When Chris Pratt turned rickshaw-puller
- Tracy Morgan appears in public for first time since settlement
- Miley Cyrus flaunts her bosom
- Khloe Kardashian's boutique to offer personal styling
- Masaba Gupta to dedicate fashion line to IIFA
- Let your hair shine in summer
- I'm lucky to have good genes: Eva Longoria
- Kaley Cuoco dyes her hair, eyebrows bright bubblegum pink
- Expert detoxification guide for brides-to-be
- Look cool in denim during summer
- Blake Lively takes to fashion designing
- Kate Winslet feels makeup is 'liberating'
- Shield hair from monsoon humidity
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing line
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi