Kissing scenes not required in Indian films: Saif Ali Khan
Mumbai: Actor Saif Ali Khan, who locked lips with co-stars in ‘Hum Tum’ and ‘Salaam Namaste’, believes Indian movies can do without kissing scenes as it doesn`t "suit us".
During a conversation on TV chat show, the host asked Saif about a statement that he and his now wife Kareena Kapoor gave before marriage - about a commitment that there won’t be any kissing onscreen for either of them.
Chopra asked Saif if there are any other rules as actors that the couple has imposed on each other.
He said: "No. I wouldn’t even say that’s in place. I don’t think it’s a function of being in a relationship. I have done films like `Salaam Namaste` a long time ago. In India, it is not required in our films to have kissing scenes. I don’t think it’s required to be overly sexual. It doesn’t suit us."
Kareena has also kissed on screen in ‘Tashan’, ‘Jab We Met’, ‘3 Idiots’ and ‘Heroine’. But her husband believes "it doesn’t work onscreen".
"Nobody looks comfortable doing it. And slowly, slowly reports filter through that when somebody has tried to be a little risque, that people don’t seem to like it. I think the kind of cinema we have, we are a hypocritical culture.
"You can talk about things, you can see Hollywood movies, but if a kiss or a lovemaking scene is presented in a way that doesn’t make you uncomfortable, it’s much easier for everybody to watch," added the actor, who is the son of actress and former censor board chief Sharmila Tagore.
Saif now has strong opinions about kissing on camera.
"I would not like to kiss onscreen because I think it’s not required. It’s not done well enough. And there are few times onscreen that a kiss is warranted and when it is, it should be done in a way that it means everything. But our culture is about not kissing in public.
"We don’t show affection in public. You’re not meant to be kissing in the car. It’s illegal apparently. Policewaalas will come knock on the glass, right? So I think culturally, it doesn’t work. And there’s no need for it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Runway Bridal to return with fourth edition in September
- Mr World 2016 Rohit Khandelwal says it is easier for models to enter Bollywood!
- Sonakshi Sinha does not have aptitude to join politics!- READ
- Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput fulfil grandmother Neelima Azeem's wish!
- Veteran writer Salim Khan hails Bombay HC judgement on Haji Ali
- 'Lion' trailer: Dev Patel once again proves his acting brilliance – Watch
- Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' vs Hrithik Roshan's 'Mohenjo Daro': Week two BO collections are out!
- Mechanic Resurrection movie review: Fails to rise
- Taapsee Pannu, Neeraj Pandey reteam on 'Meera'
- 'A Flying Jatt' Box Office collections: Tiger Shroff-Jacqueline Fernandez starrer mints Rs 7.10 cr on opening day!