Maharashtra govt makes `Bhaag Milkha Bhaag` tax free
Mumbai: Maharashtra government has granted tax exemption to `Bhaag Milkha Bhaag`, the Farhan Akhtar starrer biopic on the legendary athlete Milkha Singh.
Director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra and Farhan had earlier this week met Revenue Minister Balasaheb Thorat and sought tax concession for the film.
The tax exemption, valid for the next six months from today, has been granted as the film`s main objective was to promote sports among youths, a Mantralaya official told reporters.
Considering this view, the government granted the exemption under section 6 (3) of the Maharashtra Entertainment Duty Act 1923 to the film, the official said.
The government also took into account the fact that the film has been co-produced by the National Film Development Corporation (NFDC).
Farhan plays the title role in the biopic featuring Sonam Kapoor, Divya Dutta, Prakash Raj and Pawan Malhotra.
Since its release on July 12, the film has grossed over Rs 57 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check out: Hilarious Nawazuddin Siddiqui playing Karachi reporter Chand Nawab!
- Porn ban: Govt might come into bedroom to see how couples are having sex, says Ram Gopal Varma
- 'Masaan', 'Jaanisar' tax free in Uttar Pradesh
- Aanand L Rai to present Swara Bhaskar-starrer
- 'Singh is Bling' trailer to be out with 'Brothers'