Mega celebrations to mark century of Indian cinema
Chennai: A host of gala festivities and cultural shows have been planned as the city gears to celebrate 100 years of Indian Cinema.
Billboards of yesteryear Tamil superhero and former ChiefMinister M G Ramachandran have also been put up at Satyam Cinemas here, as part of the official commencement of the celebrations being organised by the South Indian Film Chamber of Commerce (SIFCC) in association with Tamil Nadu government.
The festivities are slated to be held from September 21to 24 to commemorate Indian cinema and Chennai`s special placein producing films in all South Indian languages till the early nineties.
Besides Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, Chief Ministers of all the other three southern states are expected to participate in the celebrations.
As part of the celebrations, old classical movies in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam are being screened in cinemas like Sathyam Seasons, Woodlands Symphony and Swarna Sakthi Abirami. Admission is free to view the classic movies.
Among the old movies being screened are super hit `NadodiMannan` starring MGR (Tamil), legendary movie `Pasa Malar,`(Sivaji Ganesan) and former Andhra Pradesh Chief MinisterNTR`s mega hit of the 1950s `Maya Bazaar` (Telugu). `SatyaHarishchandra,` `Bangarada Manushya (Kannada),` and `Chemmeen(Malayalam),` are among the Kannada and Malayalam movies thatare being screened.
Besides screening films in movie halls, SIFCC has gone astep ahead to reach out to people on centenary celebrations.
Sivan Park (KK Nagar), Natesan Park (T Nagar), and Nagaeswara Rao Park (Mylapore) have now become venues for watching movies.
G Chockalingam of Divya Films, who is organising moviesn parks for SIFCC, told PTI that they wanted to screen filmsin "as many parks as possible."
"It is not only movies. We have also organised magic shows and other cultural programmes," he said.
As regards special film shows, there are reports indicating that the Telugu film fraternity "may not participate" due to the unrest in Andhra Pradesh owing to the Telangana issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Michael Jackson`s Neverland on sale for $100 million
- Witch hunting to be subject of new Assamese film
- Alia Bhatt teams up with mother for new ad
- Sonakshi Sinha's singing performance at IIFA a 'dream come true'
- IBFW 2015 to start on July 15, go beyond metros
- Khloe ready to finalise divorce from Lamar Odom
- 'San Andreas' review: This temblor is worth watching
- Neelesh Misra to scrutinise Indian governance in 'Ramrajya'
- 'Socially appealing' show attracts Amol Palekar back to TV
- 28 years of 'Mr. India' and Anil Kapoor still looks the same
- Shoojit Sircar is terrific: Yami Gautam
- IBFW 2015 to start on July 15, go beyond metros
- Masaba Gupta to dedicate fashion line to IIFA
- Let your hair shine in summer
- I'm lucky to have good genes: Eva Longoria
- Kaley Cuoco dyes her hair, eyebrows bright bubblegum pink
- Expert detoxification guide for brides-to-be
- Look cool in denim during summer
- Blake Lively takes to fashion designing
- Kate Winslet feels makeup is 'liberating'
- Shield hair from monsoon humidity
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt