MIFF to pay tribute to Satyajit Ray
Kolkata: This year`s edition of the Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF) will pay a tribute to Satyajit Ray by screening documentaries and short films made on or by the legendary filmmaker.
Acclaimed filmmaker Shyam Benegal`s memorable
documentary `Satyajit Ray` (1985) on the Oscar-winning director will be screened as part of the tribute in the India`s largest documentary, short and animation film festival from February 3 to 9.
An ardent Ray fan, Benegal had interviewed him about his relationship with his mother, how he became a film-maker, and why he doesn`t believe in gimmicks to sell his films in the 136-minute-long docu.
Utpalendu Chakraborty`s rare 77-minute documentary titled `Child Artistes and Satyajit Ray`, which is regarded as the only film in India that presents the Ray`s love for children, will be the special attraction.
The film explores the mastery of Satyajit Ray over children not only in terms of presenting them as characters within a film, but also through stories written specifically with the child-reader and child-viewer in mind.
In 1972, Ray had directed `Inner Eye`, an award-winning 20 minute documentary that tell a poignant tale of accomplished painter Binode Bihari Mukherjee who lost his sight following an unsuccessful cataract operation at the age of 54.
He continued to create art despite loss of sight as his inner eye guided his fingers to work.
Another Ray`s 1976 documentary `Bala` about the Bharatanatyam dancer Balasaraswati will also be shown at the film carnival.
`Pikoo` (Pikoo`s Day) is another short film directed by Ray in 1980 which stars Aparna Sen and Victor Banerjee.
Altogether 101 films will be shown at MIFF with 40 international works and 61 films from India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bollywood wishes love to Karan Johar on his birthday
- Nandita Das on Cannes recce to find producers for film on Manto
- Happy Birthday to the masterly Karan Johar!
- Anupam Kher rejoices 31 years in Bollywood
- Bollywood chants 'Mumbai Mumbai' as Mumbai Indians lift IPL crown
- First Look: Striking and suave Irrfan Khan in 'Jazbaa'
- Simon Cowell shares cute pic with son on Twitter
- Milla Jovovich has daughter baptized
- Legendary actor Omar Sharif suffering from Alzheimer's disease
- I've no regrets over sexist lyrics: Snoop Dogg
- Gary Barlow sings at fan's wedding
- Flights of imagination: An aeronautical engineer as a famous novelist
- Comic book king Stan Lee to come out with graphic memoir
- Julianna Margulies to author children's picture book
- Unfinished memoirs of Orson Welles found
- We are committed to fulfilling Dinkar ji's dreams: PM Modi
- Barbra Streisand's memoir to arrive in 2017
- Chelsea Clinton book 'It's Your World' coming
- British pianist wins right to publish memoirs of abuse
- Hungarian author wins Man Booker prize, edges out Amitav Ghosh
- William Shakespeare's real face appears in botany book
- Show is show, books are books: JRR Martin on 'Game of Thrones'
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy