Muslim organisations demand ban on Kamal Haasan’s `Vishwaroopam`
Chennai: Various Muslim organisations today demanded a ban on the screening of actor-producer Kamal Haasan`s `Viswaroopam`, saying "it will affect social harmony" in the state.
MH Jawahirullah, MLA and President, Tamil Nadu Muslim Munnetra Kazhagam, said representatives of various Muslim organisations met the City Police Commissioner S George today demanding that the screening of the movie be banned.
"The screening of the movie will affect social harmony in the state. We plan to meet the Home Secretary, besides moving the Censor Board," he said.
Jawahirullah replied in the affirmative when asked if they planned to move the court if required.
Muslim organisations had earlier demanded that the film be screened to them prior to its release, expressing concern over the depiction of the community in the movie.
He said Haasan had organised a special screening of the movie for them following their demand.
The thespian had already courted controversy after taking a U-turn on his decision to release the movie on Direct-to-Home (DTH) platform with theatre owners red-flagging his decision.
The film`s release was also subsequently postponed and is now slated for a January 25 release in 500 screens in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trailer OUT! John Abraham-Sonakshi Sinha starrer 'Force 2' celebrates the real heroes of India!
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni biopic not banned, says Pakistan's CBFC chief
- Arjun Kapoor and Shraddha Kapoor relive their very own 'DDLJ' moment! View PIC
- Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma are glowing in GOLD! PIC will make you drool
- NO Kajol in Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil'? Hot Scoop