My role in `Lootera` was cut short: Adil Hussain
Panaji: Actor Adil Hussain says his role of a police inspector in `Lootera` was very significant when he signed on for it, but was taken aback to see that it did not reflect in the final cut of the film.
The Vikramatditya Motwane-directed film starred Sonakshi Sinha and Ranveer Singh in the lead role.
"My role was much bigger. When I got the script, my character had many shades. Visually also I was there on the script. And that`s the reason I said yes to the role. Not just because of the screen presence but also the fact that I could explore a lot with my character.
"But in the process of editing, which is the director`s prerogative, he chose to cut those out. I was a bit taken aback," Adil said in an interview on the sidelines of IFFI.
However, the 50-year-old `English Vinglish` actor said he respects the decision of the director, who according to him is the "supreme boss" and has the final say in a film.
" did feel a bit awkward. I was like `Oh those were beautiful scenes, Why aren`t they there? But then it is not my decision. It is the director`s! He is the supreme boss. I might disagree with it. But it is his film, it`s not my film. I have one microscopic presence in the film," he said
When asked if he would be careful in the future when signing films, Adil said if he did that, he would become a dictator.
"You cannot dictate the term on anybody unless you become a dictator, which I don`t want to become in any means. Film is a director`s medium. How much screen presence one person will have, would depend upon his vision. Once you submit to directors you should not back out," Adil said.
The actor, who has starred in international projects like `Life Of Pi` and `The Reluctant Fundamentalist`, was also planning to make his directorial debut with an Assamese film in collaboration with Utpal Borpujari. The film would be based on a short story by fellow Assamese author Atulananda Goswami.
But Adil said he has not been able to take the project up as he is busy with his film commitments.
"I am becoming apprehensive about making it as I am finding it hard to get some time. One version of the script is written. But it needs a lot of polishing. We have producers in place. But if we want to make it in a bigger way, then we will have to look for international producers. It has a universal appeal. It is a story about two people and an elephant," Adil said.
The actor has just finished shooting Academy-award winning Bosnian filmmaker Danis Tanovic`s `White Lies`, which also stars Bollywood actor Emraan Hashmi.
Adil is also playing the lead role in several international collaborations.
"I have Partho Sengupta`s `Sunrise`, where I play the lead opposite Tannishtha Chatterjee. Then there is US-based director Raj Amit Kumar`s `Blemished Lights` and `Feast of Varanasi`, which is a small British film directed by Rajan Patel, who is born and brought up in England.
"There are Assamese films and Bengali films and Bollywood movies. In the Bollywood front I have a film on Charles Sobhraj, I have a small but very interesting role in Subhash Ghai`s `Kaanchi` and a film on Gurunanak and his life," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ryan Reynolds helps young cancer patient meet Deadpool
- I'm ecstatic: Ghaywan on bagging awards at Cannes
- Dhanush, Vetrimaaran team up for third time
- Bruce Greenwood joins 'American Crime Story'
- 'Colossal' sued for being similar to 'Godzilla'
- Retrospective pays tribute to Rabindranath Tagore
- 'Masaan' honoured at Cannes, B-Town delighted
- Stamos sad that Olsen twins won't return for 'Fuller House'
- Jana Kramer marries in Nashville
- Vanessa Hudgens suffering from tendinitis
- Bill Paxton wants role in 'Alien 5'
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing line
- Lady Gaga gets over 30 wedding dress sketches from top designers
- Ditch black for bold and bright this summer
- Style up in suede in spring, summer
- Kylie's lip fillers changed her confidence: Kim Kardashian
- Jane Fonda proud to be a fashion icon
- Fashion is not for everybody: Dolce and Gabbana
- Designer Monisha Jaising to enter e-commerce
- Sculpt your looks like Moore, N'yongo did at Cannes
- Keep neck jewellery light in summer
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday