Delhi: Anurag Basu’s love story of a deaf and mute boy and an autistic girl, ‘Barfi!’, has won many honours at almost every single awards’ event in 2013. The film had been sent to the Oscars too, as India’s official entry to the most coveted film honour in the world in the Best Foreign Language Film category.
However, back home, here in India, the 60th National Awards had no mention of Ranbir Kapoor-Priyanka Chopra-Ileana D’Cruz’s ‘Barfi!’ anywhere. While Priyanka has been heard saying that she is not happy that the film missed out on the National Awards, her co-star Ranbir Kapoor vows to work harder.
At a recent event where the trailer of Kapoor’s upcoming ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’ was launched, the actor spoke about ‘Barfi!’ not being selected for any category at the National Awards 2013.
“When we started working on Barfi!, we never expected that it will win awards....but it did. We are happy with the love that we got from the audience. The film also went to the Oscars ...we were quite excited. Next time, I will try hard,” said the actor.
The 30 year old, whose debut in ‘Sawaariya’ wasn’t very impressive, has made a huge mark in acting thereafter. His deaf-mute act in Anurag Basu’s ‘Barfi!’, too, won him several awards at all major functions this year. However, it was a different scenario with the National Awards’ jury altogether. Irrfan Khan (for ‘Paan Singh Tomar’) and Vikram Gokhale (for Marathi film `Anumati`) were the ones who clinched the Best Actor National Award.
“I am happy that Irrfan Khan won the Best Actor national award (for Paan Singh Tomar). I had shared the (best actor) award with him in one of the other functions. I will work hard...do better job...I will try harder next time (for national award),” said Ranbir.
We too hope you win the National Award soon, Ranbir!
First Published: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 10:28