Rajkumar Santoshi recounts `Andaz Apna Apna` journey
Mumbai: Aila! It`s been 20 years since Rajkumar Santoshi`s "Andaz Apna Apna" (AAA) hit the screens, and the director says the movie`s reach, appeal and impact have been way beyond expected.
"Has that film really completed 20 years? Wow! It`s reach, appeal and impact have been beyond anything I ever expected," Santoshi said.
The film, starring Aamir Khan, Salman Khan, Karisma Kapoor, Raveena Tandon and Shakti Kapoor, didn`t fare well when it released. But it`s funny one-liners, entertaining drama and melodious songs, have managed to add to its list of fans over the years.
"I still remember when the producer, Vinay Sinha, had come to me with the idea of doing a film with Aamir Khan. Vinay-ji used to look after Aamir`s work. He convinced me to do film with him through my stomach. I remember he had brought the most delicious food for me.
"He suggested we do something different with Aamir. I had just done two back-to-back serious films `Ghayal` and `Damini`. We decided, why not a comedy? Little did we know that AAA would turn out to be such a laugh riot during shooting and after release," Santoshi said.
It was decided that Santoshi would script a laughathon about two warring buddies, human avatars of "Tom & Jerry". After Aamir came on board, Santoshi brought Salman into the picture.
"Both were very big stars by then. They had no problems working together. And during the shooting, they became even better friends. There would be constant laughter on the sets. We would be rolling with laughter on the sets. There was so much laughter that the cameraman would be shaking with mirth while shooting the scenes.
"The camera would shake along with the cameraman. We had to stop the shooting and let the laughter subside," he recounted.
He says all the jokes and gags were worked out beforehand.
"People think Aamir and Salman decided to call themselves Amar and Prem to celebrate the movie `Amar Prem`. But their names had nothing to do with Shakti Samanta`s film. And Aamir`s exclamation `Aila!` and Salman`s `Oui Maa!` were also my idea," said the director.
He says he used to give cues to the actors from behind the camera.
"Even during that sequence where Salman is fed julaab (laxative) and his love-confessions are repeatedly interrupted by his rumbling stomach, that `gud-gud-gud` sound to Salman`s dialogues was being given by me from behind the camera.
"Salman didn`t know when and where the `gud-gud-gud` would be put by me. That added to the scene`s unpredictability," he said.
Curiously, AAA got a lukewarm response from the audience when it released April 11, 1994.
"It was very badly marketed and distributed. Nobody knew the film was coming. We got a below-average opening. But over the years, the film has acquired a cult status. People remember each and every dialogue of AAA, just as they remember every dialogue of `Mughal-e-Azam` and `Sholay`," he said.
Now Santoshi plans a sequel to AAA, but strictly by public demand.
"I don`t believe in creating a franchise by doing sequels or building my own brand. But the demand for a sequel to AAA is unbelievable. If I don`t do it someone else will. That I won`t allow. I`ve ideas for two sequels. One of them is about Amar and Prem married and their life thereafter," he said.
However, it is unlikely that the sequel to AAA would bring Aamir and Salman together again.
"Firstly, the economic logistics of bringing Aamir and Salman together in the same film are mindboggling. Secondly, their working methods are very different, even though they`re such good friends in real life," he said.
So, Santoshi wants to make AAA2 with younger actors.
"The world has moved on in 20 years. I see a lot of filmmakers and actors doing an `Andaz Apna Apna`. I would like to see where the characters have gone after so long," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'The Spectacular Jihad...' inspired by 9/11 attacks
- Jackie Chan opens acting school in China
- I’ve fallen in love with acting, says Lauren Gottlieb
- Pulkit Samrat 'can't wait' to watch 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- History lessons for 'Gour Hari Dastaan' cast
- Shakti Kapoor to play crazy professor in upcoming film
- Playing Kashibai emotionally draining for Priyanka Chopra
- Shraddha Kapoor visits 'Baaghi' set ahead of shoot
- Expert detoxification guide for brides-to-be
- Salman Khan thanks Aamir, Shah Rukh for 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' poster release
- 'Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya blaze'
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow