Ranbir’s ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’ earns more than Salman’s ‘Dabangg 2’
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Ranbir Kapoor’s ‘Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani’, which released May 31, is on its way to enter the 100 crore club very soon. The film bagged a whopping Rs 62.75 crores in its opening weekend; a sum being said to be more than what the Salman Khan starrer ‘Dabangg 2’ earned.
On its opening day, the Ayan Mukerji directorial earned Rs.19.45 crore, and on Saturday and Sunday, the movie made Rs.20.16 crore and Rs.22.5 crore, respectively.
Gaurav Verma, director, India Theatrical Distribution, Studios, Disney UTV, said the film was doing "exceptionally well across India even in territories like Tamil Nadu and Kerala where Hindi film business is very limited".
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh said the film had an "excellent opening" and had emerged as the biggest opener of 2013 so far. "The film has fared exceptionally well at multiplexes and was very good at single screens too," Adarsh tweeted.
Ranbir Kapoor’s last superhit – ‘Barfi’ – too went on to mint Rs. 100 crores within days of its release. But in case of ‘YJHD’, ex-flames Ranbir and Deepika’s on-screen pairing, along with smart publicity and marketing tactics contributed to the film’s success.
So, does that mean we finally have another superstar here to challenge the Box Office supremacy of Salman Khan? Let’s wait and watch.
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan will entice you in 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' as a beautiful poetess!
- Can you guess how many Indian films made it to BBC's list of best 100 films? – Full list inside
- Shah Rukh Khan's epic film 'Darr' gets its own web series 'DARR 2.0'—Watch teaser!
- Deepika Padukone getting Rs 11 crore for Sanjay Leela Bhansali's 'Padmavati'? Here's the truth
- 'Raaz Reboot' passed with no cuts by CBFC: Mukesh Bhatt