Rituparno Ghosh`s `Chitrangada` selected for IFFI
Mumbai: Director Rituparno Ghosh`s `Chitrangada: The Crowning Wish`, a modern interpretation of Rabindranath Tagore`s dance drama, has been selected for the International Film Festival of India, being held in Goa from November 20.
"We have just been intimated that the film has been selected for the feature film section of Indian Panorama of 43rd IFFI which will be held on November 20-30,", Mahendra Soni, the producer of the film, told reporters.
"Chitrangada", which had its Indian premier at the 12th Osians-Cinefan Film Festival`s on July 27, is a take-off on the mythological love story of Arjuna and warrior-princess of Manipur, Chitrangada, and an allegorical exploration of the subject of gender and sexuality.
The National-Award-wining director himself plays the lead role of a gay choreographer in the film, which also stars Bengali actor Jisshu Sengupta, a drummer, who has a tempestuous relationship with Ghosh`s character.
Back in June, "Chitraganda" travelled to the Sydney Film Festival and the 12th Annual New York Indian Film Festival as the centrepiece film.
Director Kaushik Ganguly`s `Arekti Premer Galpo` (Just Another Love Story), which featured Ghosh as a gay filmmaker, was awarded the IFFI silver peacock in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trailer OUT! John Abraham-Sonakshi Sinha starrer 'Force 2' celebrates the real heroes of India!
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni biopic not banned, says Pakistan's CBFC chief
- Arjun Kapoor and Shraddha Kapoor relive their very own 'DDLJ' moment! View PIC
- Ranbir Kapoor, Anushka Sharma are glowing in GOLD! PIC will make you drool
- NO Kajol in Karan Johar's 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil'? Hot Scoop