Sanjay Gupta upset with award mess
Mumbai: Filmmaker Sanjay Gupta is upset that his support for ‘The Dirty Picture’ for best picture title at the recently held 18th Colors Screen Awards 2012, has been made to look like a personal attack on Zoya Akhtar`s ‘Zindagi Milegi Na Dobara’.
The director is in a war of words with Kunal Kohli, who felt ‘Zindagi...’ deserved the award. The debate was fuelled after a jury decision to jointly give the best film award to both the films.
According to reports, Kohli insinuated that Gupta`s interest in ‘The Dirty Picture’ has to do with his next film ‘Shootout At Wadala’ being produced by the former`s producer, Ekta Kapoor.
The comment has put off Gupta.
"If Ekta Kapoor is my producer, Eros, that produced `Zindagi...` are the producer of his next film (`Teri Meri Kahaani`). How guilty does that make him when he goes home and makes calls on the sly asking fellow-jurors for a re-vote," said Gupta.
"I don`t think he`s in a position to talk of any jury member`s ethics. Being a director himself, how would Kunal feel if his film won and a juror would go home and start making calls to other jurors to change their decision?
"`The Dirty Picture` won all the major awards. So it wasn`t as if I voted for a non-starter. All this rubbish takes away from the genuine credit of the film and that is sad," he added.
Gupta also clarified that he has nothing against director Zoya Akhtar, and her actor-filmmaker brother Farhan.
"I`ve always admired and appreciated their work. When I walked in to the meeting, it was a hung jury. I gave my vote to `The Dirty Picture` not because `Zindagi...` had similarities with `Fandango`, but because I believed `The Dirty Picture` was a better film as was also proven by the fact that it won six major awards including awards for acting, writing and most importantly direction," he said.
Gupta says even jury head Shekhar Kapur was convinced by the similarities between "Zindagi...` and 1985 film ‘Fandango’.
"Shekhar Kapur, in the first 30 seconds of watching the `Fandango` trailer said `Zindagi is out`. A jury comprising of such eminent names such as Pradeep Sarkar, John Matthew Mathan, Bhanu Athaiya, Shekhar Kapur and Rensil De Silva cannot be swayed because of anything incorrect that I say. So let`s not be sore losers and make me the villain. Please," he added.
"Being a film maker I believe a film that wins best director deserves to win best film. And the entire jury voted for Milan Luthria, no contest. I am done with all this jury nonsense for the rest of my life," Gupta added.
Meanwhile, Kohli has opted to keep mum on the issue.
"It`s very unprofessional of anyone to discuss jury debates on a public platform. I refrain from doing that," he posted on Twitter.
"Self created controversy is over. I have nothing more to contribute to anyone`s publicity stunts," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian artist showcases paintings in Egypt
- Biennale foundation to chose curator for 2016 edition
- I hope after 'Quantico', Indian actors are taken seriously: Priyanka Chopra
- TV show 'Maharana Pratap' completes two years
- Anas Rashid injured on 'Diya Aur Baati Hum' set
- Sarabjit Singh's sister Dalbir Kaur visits 'Veera' set
- Darshan Raval to do cameo in 'Badtameez Dil'
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Want to imbibe Anil's dedication, passion for work: Arjun Kapoor
- Veteran actor Dharmendra hospitalised
- Ajay Devgn to light up box office on Diwali 2016, 2017
- Masaba Gupta to dedicate fashion line to IIFA
- Let your hair shine in summer
- I'm lucky to have good genes: Eva Longoria
- Kaley Cuoco dyes her hair, eyebrows bright bubblegum pink
- Expert detoxification guide for brides-to-be
- Look cool in denim during summer
- Blake Lively takes to fashion designing
- Kate Winslet feels makeup is 'liberating'
- Shield hair from monsoon humidity
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing line
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India