Soha Ali Khan learning sign language for her next outing
New Delhi: Bollywood beauty Soha Ali Khan has done a variety of roles but playing a deaf DJ is probably the toughest so far and she is learning sign language to master the nuances of her character.
Soha will be donning the role of a DJ in upcoming film Soundtrack`, which she says is one of the most challenging roles of her life.
"I am playing a deaf character for the first time in `Soundtrack`. It is an official adaptation of a Canadian film called `It`s All Gone Pete Tong`, which in turn was based on a true story. The film is being produced by Saregama," said Soha.
"It is a very interesting character of a DJ, who loses her hearing power but decides to play music despite the handicap. I am learning sign language for the film," said Soha, who will next be seen in Sudhir Mishra`s `Tera Kya Hoga Johnny`, releasing December 17.
Soha, 31, is also starring in Deepa Mehta`s ambitious adaptation of Salman Rushdie`s `Midnight`s Children` but she is not willing to reveal much.
"The film is in the scripting process and we begin shooting next year. It is a very special project for me but I can`t say much about it," says Soha, who is reuniting with Mishra again after `Khoya Khoya Chand`.
"`Johnny` is very stylish film. Sudhir has exposed the underbelly of Mumbai. It has lots of suspense and drama," says the actress.
Soha plays a model, living the high life in the city where the path of success is not straight and comes with many twists and turns.
"The beauty of Sudhir`s protagonists is that they are not shown as black and white. There are various layers to the characters. My character Preeti is a successful model but she is also coping with a drug-addict boyfriend and the darker side of modelling industry," she says.
Unlike her mother Sharmila Tagore and brother Saif Ali Khan, Soha has been very selective in her roles in the past six-years of her career, which has been dominated by independent, small budget projects.
Soha says she is attracted to such roles because shelikes experimenting and exploring her capabilities as a performer.
"The idea is to resist being typecast. I like doing different things. That`s what attracted me to this film. Sudhir has added different shades and layers to the role and it naturally becomes a well rounded and complex performance," she says about the director, who has made critically acclaimed films like `Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi`, `Dharavi` and `Chameli`.
But the `Rang De Basanti` star is quick to dispel the perception that she is only interested in serious roles.
"I am doing a comedy for the first time in my next film, then there is `Midnight`s Children`. My film opposite my mom `Life Goes On` is releasing in UK. I will also be seen in `Accident` which is a horror film and an entirely new genre for me. The idea is to do different roles," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kanye West almost killed while hiking
- No point in fighting ageing, says George Clooney
- Alia Bhatt turns vegetarian!
- 'San Andreas' to release in Hindi and English on May 29
- Khloe Kardashian draws criticism for wearing niqab
- I was wrong to start fight with Tyson Beckford: Chris Brown
- My ambition is to be honourable family man: Ranveer Singh
- Sandeepa to perform Jackie Chan inspired stunts in '7 Hours...'
- Ranbir Kapoor is a fantastic actor: Aamir Khan
- Select viewers to watch 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani' before its release
- Tabu replaces Rekha in 'Fitoor'?
- Ashlee’s behaviour got her booted
- Photog dies of heart attack after ‘shooting’ Lady Gaga
- Carey’s dogs have their own entourage!
- Posh’s Christmas gift for Becks – micro-pigs!
- Lady Gaga voted Weirdest Star
- Lindsay threatened by fake gun!
- Teacher posts nude pics on web to annoy beau
- `A Celeb`s life is similar to a vampire’s’
- Psychic contacts Jackson`s spirit
- Cheryl Cole listens to her own records
- The spookiest hotels of US
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM