‘Son of Sardaar’ Review: A full-on masala entertainer!
A certain school of thought would believe that films need to exhibit cinematic values while the other would beg to differ. For them, movies are all about entertainment, entertainment and entertainment. And as Vidya ‘Silk’ Balan had rightly said in ‘The Dirty Picture’, it’s all about providing entertainment, you see! So who cares? As long as you are able to leave your routine life outside the theatre and are ready to take a fairytale ride on celluloid, it hardly does matter.
So, as India gears up to celebrate the festival of lights, Ajay Devgn’s ‘Son of Sardaar’ comes in as an entertaining treat. The multi-starrer action cum rom-com is quite a predictable story, but does unfold its share of subtle surprises.
‘Son of Sardaar’ aka Jassi (Ajay Devgn) opens the film with his incredible stunt, where he is shown riding on two horses (graphically designed, though). And it reminds you of his entry in his debut film where he dares to firmly stand across two speeding bikes. Ajay’s entry is grand, larger than life and the opening sequence is more than enough to tell you that breathtaking action in store aplenty in this film. Salman Khan’s cameo acts as icing on the cake.
Jassi, who is otherwise a happy-go-lucky Sardaar, shows his better side when instigated. He is a London resident and has no idea whatsoever about his family’s past. It is only when his close associate discloses certain secrets that Jassi learns about his family, ancestral property in Punjab and most importantly – the family feud between the Randhawas and the Sandhus. And that’s when he decides to pay a visit to his pind (village).
He comes across Sukh (Sonakshi Sinha) and Cupid strikes his arrow; one that goes past Jassi’s heart and as expected, turns him into a victim of the love bug with the very first glimpse of Sukh. Make no mistake in predicting what’s in store next, however. Yes, you guessed it right. Sukh belongs to the Sandhu family, headed by Ranvijay Singh (Sanjay Dutt).
The Sandhu patriarch firmly believes in showing great hospitality to his guest. And leaves no stone unturned in pleasing them, even if they tend to offend them by their words or actions. So, a helpless host that he is, Sandhu holds on to his emotions until the guest takes a step out his abode, so that he could show the other side of his hospitality quite clearly.
And Jassi is just a little too lucky to be a recipient of Sandhu’s hospitality. Both the parties know that they are enemies. Will Sandhu break the tradition of atithi devobhava and avenge past atrocities? Probably a show near you will help you know the rest of the story!
SOS is a typical masala entertainer. It’s got all the formula of an action-packed flick. Ajay Devgn is fabulous as ‘Sardaar’ and Sonakshi, (though a Bihari), looks apt as a Sardarni. Shotgun Junior has a meaty role to play and has done justice to it. And so has Sanjay Dutt. He comes across as a rugged man with a childlike heart. His romantic scenes with Pammi (Juhi Chawla) are certainly worth a wolf-whistle. Bubbly Juhi is still a treat to watch. Mukul Dev and Vindu Dara Singh steal the show with their comic timings. The sequences that feature the two will most definitely tickle your funny bone.
Ashwani Dhir’s direction is quite commendable, considering the fact that the film follows a traditional formula. The action sequences are a completely fantasy. Even Rajinikanth might seek certain tips to incorporate such hard-to-believe action sequences in his next! Nonetheless, the film is meant to be such.
Himesh Reshammiya has stuck to his typical style but Sajid Wajid’s composition ‘Yeh jo halki halki khumariyan’ sung by Rahet Fateh Ali Khan will undoubtedly please your ears.
Certain portions are a bit of a drag, but the comic sequences will make up for the monotony. The cast has put up a good show. Overall, SOS is worth a watch, a complete family entertainer!
Ratings: Three Cheers to this one!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- If you're 28, it doesn't mean you've to get married: Kangana Ranaut
- 'Gour Hari Dastaan' to release on August 14
- Tiger, Jacqueline very much part of 'Flying Sikh': Remo D'Souza
- Art Garfunkel says Paul Simon suffers from 'Napoleon' complex
- Hrithik Roshan praises Shraddha, Varun for 'ABCD2'
- I sometimes hate my life: Kylie Jenner
- I wanted performers for 'ABCD 2': Remo D'Souza
- Schwarzenegger excited about 'Conan the Barbarian' sequel
- 'Wazir' second teaser to be tagged with 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Bickram Ghosh to open music gurukul in Singapore, London
- I'm fit and fine, Amitabh Bachchan clarifies
- I'm fit and fine, Amitabh Bachchan clarifies
- Shraddha Kapoor lost in Shillong!
- Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh gear up for IIFA 2015
- B.B. King death to be investigated as homicide
- Ranveer Singh goes gaga over Anushka Sharma!
- Shahid Kapoor reaches the 6 million mark on Twitter!
- Bombay High Court likely to hear Salman Khan's travel plea on Tuesday
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita Khan's wedding reception in Mandi
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception at Mandi
- Kim Kardashian shares candid images on first anniversary with Kanye
- I'm not retiring from acting: Patrick Dempsey
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon