Still no visibility for parallel cinema in India: Amol Palekar
Mumbai: Parallel cinema is still struggling to find a place in India and even multiplexes have not been able to create space for it, says veteran actor-director Amol Palekar.
"Non-mainstream cinema is mostly forgotten when we talk about Indian cinema. Only masala Hindi films are not what Indian cinema consists of," Amol, 65, told reporters in an interview here.
"There is no platform for smaller films. It is crowded and bombarded by mainstream films and their hype and hence there is no visibility for different films," said Amol, who helmed movies like "Thodasa Rumani Ho Jaye", "Daayraa" and "Kairee".
"We need to make people aware of other films as well, so that it is not limited to just a niche audience. People say now with multiplexes, small films are getting their space, but it`s not so. Even in multiplexes, small films get two shows and big films get 19 shows, so how will it be visible?" he said.
Amol is ready with yet another small-budget, non-stars film, "And Once Again". It is slated to hit the screens Aug 13.
The English film is the story of a man who loses his wife and child in a violent attack. While trying not to go over the edge, he seeks psychiatric care but just when he feels his life is back to normal, he faces another dilemma.
Asked if English as the language of the film would not restrict its reach, the filmmaker disagreed.
"It is a myth that Hindi gives you a wider reach. Hindi has a wider reach provided you are making a mainstream masala film. But if you are not making a big film then it really doesn`t help so much.
"The subject of my film is such that it is meant for a niche audience; so even if I had made it in Hindi, it would not have reached the masses," said Amol.
"And Once Again" is extensively shot in Sikkim and stars Antara Mali, Rajat Kapoor and Rituparna Sengupta.
After "Paheli", starring Shah Rukh Khan and Rani Mukherji, Amol refrained from making a mainstream film. So when does he plan to get back to that genre?
"I go by the subject and not by stars. I make films according to what the subject requires. If I have a subject that requires big budgets and mainstream actors, I will make it.
"The starting point of my filmmaking is not the market issues. I don`t make a film because I want to do business. I make films because I have a subject that I want to share. The subject comes with a demand," said Amol, who also faced the camera in many films like "Rajnigandha", "Baaton Baaton Mein" and "Golmaal" among others.
As far as future projects go, Amol says he works on one project at a time.
"It`s only after the entire work of this film is completed that I`ll start thinking about my other project. I work on one thing at a time," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Gour Hari Dastaan' to release on August 14
- Tiger, Jacqueline very much part of 'Flying Sikh': Remo D'Souza
- Art Garfunkel says Paul Simon suffers from 'Napoleon' complex
- Hrithik Roshan praises Shraddha, Varun for 'ABCD2'
- I sometimes hate my life: Kylie Jenner
- I wanted performers for 'ABCD 2': Remo D'Souza
- Schwarzenegger excited about 'Conan the Barbarian' sequel
- 'Wazir' second teaser to be tagged with 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Bickram Ghosh to open music gurukul in Singapore, London
- I'm fit and fine, Amitabh Bachchan clarifies
- Marilyn Monroe's pics taken 'weeks before her death' to be auctioned soon
- Kate Winslet feels makeup is 'liberating'
- Shield hair from monsoon humidity
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing line
- Lady Gaga gets over 30 wedding dress sketches from top designers
- Ditch black for bold and bright this summer
- Style up in suede in spring, summer
- Kylie's lip fillers changed her confidence: Kim Kardashian
- Jane Fonda proud to be a fashion icon
- Fashion is not for everybody: Dolce and Gabbana
- Designer Monisha Jaising to enter e-commerce
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon