Surprised by selection of `Highway` at Berlin fest: Imtiaz Ali
New Delhi: Director Imtiaz Ali is utterly surprised by the selection of his upcoming road movie `Highway` at the prestigious Berlin International Film Festival as he feels such platforms are reserved for filmmakers like Anurag Kashyap.
`Highway`, starring Alia Bhatt and Randeep Hooda, will have its world premiere in the festival`s Panorama section. It will hit theatres on February 21.
"I felt that only efficient and creative filmmakers like Anurag Kashyap can go to film festivals and to these glamorous cities. This is the first time that a film of mine has been invited to a festival," said Imtiaz, who has previously directed films like `Jab We Met`, `Love Aj Kal` and `Rockstar`.
"It is the first for me, first for Aliya and people around me are very excited. Frankly this movie was not made for hitting the festival but it is there and I hope it opens door for filmmakers as well," said the director, who was in the capital for the promotion of the film.
From the typical Bollywood song-dance and frothy romantic tales in his earlier films, Imtiaz has gradually moved on to making different cinema which was very evident in his last release `Rockstar`. Even `Highway` is a much shorter film without any lip-sync songs.
When asked if he made an effort to change his style of filmmaking over the years, he said, "I feel as a director, I have the capability to making different kind of stories with different kind of cinematic expression. I would like to make a full on `nach-gana` film without having any qualms about it, without trying to be intellectual about it. And I would also make a film like `Highway`... It just seems incongruous."
In all his films, Imtiaz`s heroines have left an indelible mark on the audiences` mind -- be it the docile Aditi in `Socha Na Tha`, the outgoing Geet in `Jab We Met`, the impulsive Meera in `Love Aj Kal`.
"I don`t think from their (women) perspective. I am interested in them and their influence upon me has been quite interesting. I think its fascination. Sometimes the traits of my women characters might overlap with each other. But intrinsically they are different from each other. There might be some frequencies that resonate together but not always," he said.
On why he chose Alia over other older actresses in `Highway`, Imtiaz said, "Alia was perfect for this role. She is not just young but has the heart and maturity to grasp things happening around. So getting an older girl for the part would not have been right for the film."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Feel sad to not see KKR at Eden: Shah Rukh Khan
- Anushka Sharma feels 'terrible' on being sick, misses fun with DDD boys
- Anil Kapoor, Ranveer Singh cheer for MI, Farhan Akhtar wants to catch a sixer
- Anushka Sharma has evolved as an actor, person: Ranveer Singh
- Haryana to set up three museums
- 'Mohenjodaro' wraps up 101 days of shoot in Bhuj
- 'Dil Dhadakne Do' a world-class film: Anil Kapoor
- Every single child is unique: Priyanka Chopra
- Salman Khan to attend sister's reception in Himachal
- 'Andaaz' clocks 12 years; Priyanka Chopra, Lara Dutta nostalgic
- Dwayne Johnson sets selfie world record
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing line
- Lady Gaga gets over 30 wedding dress sketches from top designers
- Ditch black for bold and bright this summer
- Style up in suede in spring, summer
- Kylie's lip fillers changed her confidence: Kim Kardashian
- Jane Fonda proud to be a fashion icon
- Fashion is not for everybody: Dolce and Gabbana
- Designer Monisha Jaising to enter e-commerce
- Sculpt your looks like Moore, N'yongo did at Cannes
- Keep neck jewellery light in summer
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Mbose SSLC 10th Results 2015: Meghalaya Board (mbose.in & megresults.nic.in) Class 10th exam results 2015 to be announced today on May 25
- Mbose HSSLC 12th Arts Results 2015: Meghalaya Board (mbose.in & megresults.nic.in) Class 12th Arts exam results 2015 to be announced today on May 25
- CBSE Class XII Board Results 2015 to be out on Monday