UTV shows strong confidence in `Kai Po Che!`
Mumbai: Considering that the film has no known established stars, Abhishek Kapoor`s youth-fest ‘Kai Po Che!’, detailing the criss-crossing luck of three youngsters on the threshold of their lives, has elicited an exceptional confidence level in its producers UTV Motion Pictures.
The film was screened at a world premiere at the Berlin International Film Festival Feb 13, almost two weeks ahead of its worldwide release this Friday.
"UTV`s faith in the product paid off. They took a big chance by screening the film at Berlin just weeks ahead of the worldwide release. Anything could have gone wrong. Negative reviews could have filtered back. But UTV, bolstered by the unexpected success of Remo d`Souza`s `ABCD: AnyBody Can Dance` last week, showed the film at Berlin to a receptive audience," said a source close to the project.
Now, in an even more audacious display of confidence in the product, the producers decided to hold the film`s Mumbai premiere Monday.
"Suicidal confidence, I`d say," says a filmmaker.
"It`s just not correct to show your film to a preview audience so much in advance. Thursday evening is when premieres happen. Remember what happened to Sanjay Leela Bhansali`s `Saawariya`? It was premiered on a Wednesday since Thursday was Diwali.
"SMS messages against the film began pouring in on Wednesday night. By the time the film was released 36 hours after its premiere, the damage was done. The film was written off on release," the filmmaker added.
A member of the ‘Kai Po Che!’ cast commented: "We`ve no idea why the film is being premiered on a Monday. We`re just going along with whatever we`re told."
The film is based on Chetan Bhagat`s novel ‘The 3 Mistakes of My Life’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss 10: Manu Punjabi to make a comeback on Salman Khan's show?
- Relationships, friendships and more: Karan Johar reveals the truth about actors
- Ranveer Singh prefers to protect his personal life!
- Seven times Karisma Kapoor gave us serious fashion goals
- Are stubborn acne marks troubling you? Check out these home remedies
- Box Office report: Here's how much 'Dear Zindagi', 'Kahaani 2' collected on Saturday!
- Rana Daggubati, Taapsee Pannu's 'The Ghazi Attack' to strike patriotic chord
- What made Sanjay Leela Bhansali believe that Deepika Padukone's 'Padmavati' has kick started!
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2' new teaser trailer takes excitement up a notch
- Is THIS the reason why Farhan Akhtar refused to act in Akshay Kumar's 'Gold'?