Vishwaroopam to hit theatres on January 25
Chennai: After a tug-of-war with exhibitors that threatened the release of his trilingual film `Vishwaroopam`, actor Kamal Haasan today announced it will hit the silver screen on January 25 but was mum on the direct-to-home premiere issue which had triggered the tussle.
The 58-year-old actor-filmmaker had yesterday postponed the release, scheduled for January 11, in the wake of his path-breaking initiative to premiere it on DTH platform a day ahead met with resistance from a section of theatre owners who decided to boycott it.
However, the tech savvy actor seemed to have ironed out the issues as he announced the film will be screened in 500 theatres across the state on January 25.
But it was not clear whether the action-thriller directed by him and produced by his Rajkamal Films will enjoy a DTH premiere.
"Based on the unstinted support of theatre owners and distributors fraternity, Vishwaroopam will release on 25th of January, 2013 in not less than 500 screens across the state of Tamil Nadu," he said in a statement here today.
"I appreciate the exhibitors and distributors brethren for having understood my vision of creating a new revenue stream for the film producing community through DTH," he said.
Haasan thanked "each and everyone who stood by me and all those who have extended their support and cooperation in this endeavour."
The actor had cited his own convenience for the indefinite deferment of the release yesterday but assured he would not let down his DTH partners.
Defending his move to premiere the film on DTH, Haasan had yesterday said, "This (DTH mode) is not a selfish motive meant for me but it will soon become the common path for the industry."
A total of five DTH companies had signed agreement with the actor for airing an exclusive show of the film at the rate of Rs 1,000 per view for the Tamil version and Rs 500 for Hindi and Telugu.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bigg Boss: Priya Malik accuses Kanwaljeet Singh of racism
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan proud to be Indian, says no intention of leaving India
- India made Aamir Khan’s 'PK' a blockbuster, that's tolerance: BJP MP
- Priyanka Chopra turning poetic with Montreal winters
- I respect Aamir, but India is most tolerant country: Vivek Oberoi
- Mark Ruffalo to narrate film on Barack Obama's energy policy
- Tom Cruise in talks for 'The Mummy' reboot
- Ryan Gosling to play Neil Armstrong in biopic?
- Sushant Singh, Kriti Sanon pair up for Dinesh Vijan's debut
- Check out: Ranveer Singh-Deepika Padukone's stunning look in 'Bajirao Mastani' new poster!