We know the difference between good film and fest release:Ajay Devgn
New Delhi: He has been a part of the coveted 100 crore club ruled by Bollywood superstars but Ajay Devgn says it`s not a parameter for success as public knows the difference between a good film and those releasing on Diwali or Eid.
"I don`t think (100 crore) is a parameter. We all know which film is good and which film has worked because of the time of release be it Diwali, Eid or whatever and which film really deserves a sequel. That is why sequels of those films cannot be made," Ajay, who is awaiting the release of `Singham` sequel, told reporters.
Although, the 45-year-old actor did not take any names, it is a well-known fact that the three main festival days are mostly booked for the three Khans- Eid for Salman, Diwali for Shah Rukh while Aamir prefers the year-end Christmas slot.
Ajay, who is aiming to cash in on the holiday weekend of Independence Day with `Singham Returns`, says he does not bother about the ongoing battle to the top in Bollywood as he has a huge film resume.
"Everybody knows (of my work). When you see the list of hits they are huge. It doesn`t matter to me. It has just become a style to take one name. But we have all been here for the past 25 years in the industry and doing well and surviving here.
"I am 45 and I am doing what young kids are doing so I think you can`t take that away," Ajay said
In the past three years, there has been a swarm of young actors in Bollywood.
When asked whether new faces encroaching on their territory, Ajay said emulating what he and his contemporaries have been consistently doing for the past 25 years will be difficult.
"We are talking about the young crop of actors that have come up in the last 2-3 years. But it has been so difficult in the past 25 years for someone to come and establish themselves and we have been here. So, audience takes their time and who has the capability they accept him. It is not that easy," Ajay said.
The actor has reunited with his long-time collaborator Rohit Shetty for his upcoming Independence Day release 'Singham Returns' and he says their relationship has gone from strength to strength in the past 23 years.
"I can't even explain the journey... It has been 23 years. He came as a young assistant director when I started my first film 'Phool Aur Kaante'. How the journey has gone we don't know. (Our relationship) has kept on progressing since he directed his first film 'Zameen'," he said.
'Singham Returns' also stars Kareena Kapoor Khan and Amol Gupte and is a sequel to Shetty's hit 2011 film 'Singham'. But Ajay assures that the upcoming movie is more than just a sequel as it is loaded with bigger drama and action.
"The sequel was actually on public demand. But we were not ready until we had a good script because we knew the expectation would be very high. The drama is bigger. This time it is more real," Ajay said.
The actor is currently shooting for 'Action Jackson' and busy with pre-production of a film starring his actress wife, Kajol. The film will be directed by ad filmmaker Ram Madhvani and will go on floors in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan in trouble over 'poem', slapped Rs 1 crore notice
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- Chris Pine in talks to play Steve Trevor in 'Wonder Woman'
- Liam Neeson most-liked celebrity endorser
- U2 tour manager Dennis Sheehan dies in LA hotel
- Subhash Ghai to receive IIFA Lifetime Achievement award 2015
- Tabu will bring whole new energy to 'Fitoor': Abhishek Kapoor
- Michael Gambon to play Winston Churchill in ITV drama
- 'PK' collects $7.03 mn in China
- I am a fan of Tom Hanks: Al Pacino
- A movie about Mumbai Film Festival
- Michael Gambon to play Winston Churchill in ITV drama
- 'Twin Peaks' to get 18 new episodes
- Dylan Bruce joins 'Heroes Reborn'
- The new 'X-Files' script made me cry: David Duchovny
- Piers Morgan returns to 'America's Got Talent' as guest
- Netflix renews 'Grace And Frankie' for season two
- Zayn Malik may make 'X Factor' comeback as judge
- 'Supergirl' pilot leaks online six months before schedule
- Kapil Sharma celebrates two years of CNWK with ‘ABCD 2’ team
- New York `Mad Men` exhibition extends to September 6
- Newcomer Monica Sehgal gets taste of her popularity
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in