Why is Sonam Kapoor ‘Mili’ for `Khoobsurat`?
Mumbai: Actress Sonam Kapoor will play Mili in the remake of 1980 Rekha starrer ‘Khubsoorat’. She says that since she and the makers of the new film are huge fans of late director Hrishikesh Mukherjee, who helmed the classic, they decided to club names of ‘Mili’ and ‘Khubsoorat’ in the remake.
Sonam not only stars in the remake titled ‘Khoobsurat’, but has also decided to name herself after another beloved female protagonist from another Hrishikesh Mukherjee 1975 classic ‘Mili’.
"Yes, that`s right. My director Shashank Ghosh, my producer Rhea, who also happens to be my sister, and I, we all decided not to name my character Anju. That was the name Rekha was given by Hrishida in `Khubsoorat`. We decided to name my character Mili," said Sonam.
Her father Anil Kapoor was the last lead actor to work with the late director Hrishikesh Mukherjee in ‘Jhooth Bole Kauwa Kaate’.
"We are all huge fans of Hrishikesh Mukherjee. My dad worked in his last film. Unfortunately, I couldn`t work with him. Shashank waited four years to do his own take on `Khubsoorat` with me. And since `Mili` is another favourite film of mine by Hrishida, I decided to incorporate that as well into our `Khoobsurat`," she added.
Sonam says her ‘Khoobsurat’ is very different from the original.
"The spirit is the same. The characters are also the same. But the milieu and circumstances have been changed. I thoroughly enjoyed playing a character that Rekhaji has played so wonderfully in the past," she said.
"Obliterating Rekhaji is too harsh a thought. Her spirit runs through `Khoobsurat`. But I haven`t copied her in any way. Not in my clothes, performance or attitude. I am Mili, not Anju," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' breaks into Rs 100 crore club
- Vidya Balan turns down Suchitra Sen biopic
- Disney pulls plug on 'Tron 3'
- 21 European films to be screened in Kolkata
- Mamata Banerjee remembers Rituparno Ghosh as West Bengal's pride
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- 'Ishqedarriyaan' review: An oft-seen love story
- Chris Brown sometimes hated himself
- Emilia Clarke called 'Dragon Lady' in shops
- Kangana Ranaut inaugurates first Gap store in India
- Nicki Minaj particular about sex
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Special: The UP village where religion does not preach hatred
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Monsoon likely to hit Kerala next week; heatwave death toll climbs to 2,005