`Emancipate` named top HollyWord for 2012, Pi 2nd
Los Angeles: `Emancipate`, a pervasive global theme represented in blockbusters ‘Lincoln’, ‘Django Unchained’ and ‘Argo’, has been named the top HollyWord of 2012 while `Pi` has been ranked second.
The 10th annual global analysis by Global Language Monitor also named `barricade, `upside down`, `interrogation enhancement`, `czar`, `Argos`, `borderline`, `Franken`, and `Elvish` in the top 10.
"In 2012, emancipate was a pervasive global theme represented in `Lincoln`, `Django`, and `Argo` but also in smaller, documentary and Indy efforts the world over. As Webster defines it, emancipate means `to free from restraint, control, or the power of another`.
"This certainly resonated with both the filmmakers and the audiences, who turned out in record numbers this season," says Paul J J Payack, president and chief word analyst of GLM.
Each year, GLM announces the top HollyWords after the Oscars at the conclusion of the awards season. The 85th Annual Academy Awards ceremony was held at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, California with Seth MacFarlane as host.
GLM used NarrativeTracker 2.0 for this analysis. It is based on global discourse, providing a real-time, accurate picture of what the public is saying about any topic, at any point in time.
Last year `Silence` was the top HollyWord while in 2008 its was `Jai Ho!`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Throwback! We bet you haven't seen these rare Bollywood pictures
- Kumkum Bhagya - Episode 731: Robbers threaten to kill Pragya
- Box Office report: Opening day collections of Ranveer Singh's 'Befikre' are out!
- Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor's 'OK Jaanu' new poster is too cute to handle!
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!
- Ranbir Kapoor clicks with Akshay Kumar at the book launch of Twinkle Khanna's 'The Legend Of Lakshmi Prasad'