A novel based on poverty, corruption in India gets US book honours
New Delhi: The Annual Awards Ceremony in New York held on Wednesday was all about rewarding the best writers of the lot for their outstanding works. Author Louise Erdrich took home the prestigious National Book Award for fiction for ‘The Round House,’ a moving novel about a woman raped in a Native American community.
Of the people that were competing for the award were the likes of Junot Diaz and Dave Eggers, as well as Ben Fountain and debut novelist Kevin Powers.
Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Katherine Boo won the non-fiction award for her debut work, ‘Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity,’ which is about the lives of India`s poor as well as the corruption prevalent among the government at all levels.
Other winners included David Ferry`s ‘Bewilderment’ for its poetry and William Alexander`s ‘Goblin Secrets’ that won the young people`s literature award.
Also, Novelist Elmore Leonard and New York Times publisher Arthur O. Sulzberger Jr. received lifetime achievement awards at the gala.
There were five nominations by The National Book Foundation in each of the four categories - fiction, nonfiction, poetry and young people`s literature and four selected winners got prize money of 10,000 dollars.
The main idea behind organising the awards was to liven-up the industry left quivered in its bid to change to the digital marketplace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Donald Trump was obsessed with me: Kristen Stewart on his old tweet about her
- Priyanka Chopra thanks 'Quantico' team for People's Choice Award!
- The Crew movie review: Visually rich, entertaining
- Sunny Leone does a 'Laila' with Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan on 'Bigg Boss 10'! Pic proof
- THIS actress is playing Maanayata in Sanjay Dutt biopic!
- First reprint of Adolf Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' becomes German bestseller: Publisher
- A politically incorrect guide to the world's diverse peoples
- Weekend special: Books you can pick
- Mahavir Singh Phogat's biography to launch ahead of 'Dangal' release!
- Hrithik Roshan asks for his copy of 'The Legend of Lakshmi Prasad'; Twinkle Khanna sends a 'funny' frisbee reply!